• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turkey calls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was right. Drove the bride and the dog nuts and it didn't take long either. Practicing the diaphragm on my commute. Quite funny actually when I'm not gagging on it. Starting to sound like a turkey to me, don't know if I sound like a turkey to a turkey though. We usually have a flock that frequents our yard, they haven't showed up yet, but everything is behind here this spring. When they do show I will see what sort of response I get. I hope it won't be the sound of turkeys giggling.

Sorry if I'm repeating this. I didn't read thru all the posts, but don't forget the use of the wing and scratching. If you get a tough tom two of the easiest things I've found to seal the deal is a wing to mimic a fly down to a roosted bird or simply some scraping against brush, etc., and scratching in the leaves. Not to be too long-winded, but I've had two birds literally in my lap using only these "calls." Unfortunately, both were successful hunts, but taken with modern shotguns...I'm still looking for one of those situations to pop up with the flinter in hand where I feel 25 yards and under is my ethical range.

An old timer taught me to use the wing for my scratching in conjunction with purring. He was certainly right.

If I was just starting out I'd get me one of those Push Pin friction calls. All you do is push the peg or pin down and from what I hear they sound realistic.

I'd also get a mouth call and start practicing on it and a slate and box call.

But the main thing is find one call at least that you have confidence in, even if it's just making a cluck or purr, because when the time comes and you're set up on a gobbling bird every little noise you make on whatever call you're using seems like the volume has been turned wide open...that is unless he cuts you off with a double gobble..then it's like playing to the choir...most times.

Back