• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey loads for Pedersoli 12 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhills

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Navy Arms Pedersoli 12 gauge double-barreled muzzleloader (vintage early 1970s)that I am planning to use for Vermont Turkey hunting this Spring. I am looking for advice on loading it and wondering if I can buy just a few lbs. of #4 and #6 lead shot. As you know, turkey hunting doesn't use up a lot of shot!

You can generally find 3-5 lb bags of the nickle or copper plated shot, but they are about the same price as a 25 lb bag of good hard lead shot.

You can make #4 or #6 work. With open chokes, I would probably go w/ # 6 just to up the pattern density. Open-choked ML's are not a long range proposition anyway. A properly choked ML 10ga will give any cartridge gun a close run if you spend the time to work up a good load. My full choked 8 ga. trap gun would be absolute death on them, but it is not legal in most states.

I have a 1971 pedroseli sxs and it likes 1&1/8 ounce # 4 or #6 in a newspaper shot cartridge over two 1/4 inch leather or felt wads over 75 grain FF.. But you could go a little heavier. :idunno:

Back