• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Time...almost

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Already getting the bug here boys!!! Just took the ol Peder 10ga double out last night and gave her a good once over. Last year I harvested a bird with a load I worked up and can't remember what it was??? Shooting is half the run though right? I'm gonna run some felt wads this year as I noticed gun shot better patterns with 1/2 a fiber felt wad over a full one. She's choked cyl/mod. Any suggestions on starting points, shot mixes, etc. Last year I shot 1 1/2oz of shot with 70-80gr of T7 I believe???

I'm getting the itch also. I just came up with a Navy arms 12 ga SxS. Just got around to shooting it today. It seems to want to shoot with 90 grn of 25 year old 2F, with a hard 1/8 inch over powder wad, a 1/2 inch felt wad, and 1 1/4 oz of lead 6's. It put 13 in the head and neck of a turkey target at 30 measured yards today. I'm going to play around with it some more before season opens in April but so far so good.

Since the Minnesota rules changed and now allow an archery hunter to hunt the entire season in all open areas instead of being restricted to one area for 7 days, I think my smoothie will sit this season out. Kinda sad, but hard to pass that option up.

Never had a 10 ga, but my 12 ga SxS Pedersoli liked 75 gr of 2F, two 1/8" lubed felt wads, and 1 3/4 oz of 6's topped with an overshot card. Did OK with 5's and 4's too.

I never had any luck with the big fibre wads. Always blew a hole in my pattern. :idunno:

Yes, a 7 day season sucks.

My season opens on the 25th of April and goes to the last day of May.

We are allowed two "bearded" Turkey's during the season with either bow (including traditional, compound or crossbow) or shotgun (traditional or modern) but restricted to shooting #4, 5 or 6 shot - no rifles, no round ball etc.

This really is a success story for us here in Ontario. Turkey had been hunted to extinction. In 1984 some of you fine people in the US gave us 274 Wild Turkey's which were planted in a couple of small areas.

Now less than 30 years later we have Turkey "everywhere" and two viable seasons (spring and fall) where we can take a total of 3 birds (2 bearded in spring - 1 either sex in the fall).

MMMMMM, can taste Club Sandwiches with Wild Turkey meat already - bring on the spring :)

Our season goes for over a month, from March 19 until the 24th of April.

My SxS CVA with cylinder (no) choke needs to see one within 30 yards to be effective.

I just picked up a pedersoli 10 ga and will be trying to work up a load .Last season I used my Pedersoli in 12 ga and killed a nice tom with 70 grains of 2f and 1 1/4 ounce of sixes.Tom

Back