• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey with a .32?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Me and my bud just got a couple of .32s and were wondering if a .32 maxi would be potent enough for turkey. I know that a shot through the head will do it for sure, but how about a body shot?

Big Al,
A round ball in the boiler room using 25-30g of 3F will drop the biggest of goblers. A maxi may be a bit of overkill. A .32 prb is on par with a .22 mag. with those powder charges.

Just be sure to check your local regs to make sure you can use a rifle. Here in Michigan you cannot use a rifle for turkey.

If I remember the T/C loading table correctly, the little Cherokee will launch a .32 pill with about 700 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. That is more than enough for a Turkey, even out to 100 yards where the ME is 250 or 300 ft-lbs.

Here in NC you cannot hunt Turkey with single projectile guns.

I know from personal experience that a .32 PRB will kill a turkey stone dead @ 50 yds when loaded with 25gr fff Swiss.

Used a .40 w/prb on top of 25 grs. 3f to take turkey in a caplock before switching it to flint. The ball went through the wing butt at about 35 yds. I normally shoot 40grs. The .32 will work just fine!!!!

Back