• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have fowler on the brain, whats your experience with these? Rabbits squirrel and probably roundball deer.

While the fowler type style itself might be more of a personal choice, if you're referring to a .62cal, I've come to be very impressed with the .62cal as a do all caliber/gauge for typical woods hunting where shots are moderate distances.

And agree, TVM builds a good long gun and customer service is top priority...if you don't end up a satisfied customer, it'll be your fault...LOL

I have a TVM fowler with a straight 20 gauge barrel that I bought used from them. It is a bit cluby for wing shooting but works as a turkey gun. Make sure you get a tapered barrel.

I've had one for a few years now and I'm very happy with it. I didn't know about the tappered barrle issue until I had mine for a couple years. It makes no difference to me at this point. That being said, if you can get TVM to build one with a tappered barrle,(and I'd bet they will) do it.It's a very versitile gun and I've taken deer, turkeys, and other small game.

roundball said:
While the fowler type style itself might be more of a personal choice, if you're referring to a .62cal, I've come to be very impressed with the .62cal as a do all caliber/gauge for typical woods hunting where shots are moderate distances.

And agree, TVM builds a good long gun and customer service is top priority...if you don't end up a satisfied customer, it'll be your fault...LOL
What other style of gun would be available in a .62 cal. with a smooth bore?

Stone Knife said:
roundball said:

What other style of gun would be available in a .62 cal. with a smooth bore?

Since I don’t any do snap type wing shooting hunting, my preference as an all around .62cal smoothbore is the “smooth rifle” style with a rear sight for deer, squirrel, turkey”¦the one in these Virginia style photos has a 38” Rice barrel (Jug Choked Full) Chambers deluxe siler and Davis triggers.

1FullRightbuttangle.jpg

3FullLeftbuttangle.jpg

11191062calNo5shot-Squirrelcropped.jpg

A10121062cal10Pointersomedarker.jpg

flinch said:
You could research north west trade gun. flinch

If i were in the market NSW is where I'd spend my money, or Mike Brooks for a higher end fowler.

Its like the difference between buying a new manufactured home and a new stick built home, you can get into a nice manufactured home for alot less than a stick built but the stick built will retain or even appreciate in value, never happens with a mobil home.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Its like the difference between buying a new manufactured home and a new stick built home, you can get into a nice manufactured home for alot less than a stick built but the stick built will retain or even appreciate in value, never happens with a mobil home.

VERY good analogy.

To the OP......Given the game you mention, I would say you would be OK. These guns are somewhat clunky like a modern gun as mentioned above but that will not affect the type of shooting you mention.
If you are truly looking at a FOWLING PIECE as your topic mentions, or if you are wanting any historical context I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

Thanks,

Wife informed me that not everybody appreciates "blunt force truth", maybe I should practice my bedside manners. :wink:

You will be given a variety of makers to consider, I suggest giving considerable importance to the degree of experience with a variety of "brands" those who make suggestions about what "good" guns any maker builds, as with any topic one must have a variety of experience with the different options to have any kind of valid opinion about any of the products, and for the most part any photos will pretty much only cover the asthetic aspect of a gun and possibly price if included, there are many here who have owned, worked on, shot, handled or repaired most every "brand" available these are the sources that will give the best possible overall picture of the merits or things lacking with the different gun "brands" and personal bias formed upon ownership of a single gun/maker can present a quite limited view, not necessarily always incorrect but will always be benifited by a deeper level of comparitive research, I will not offer any suggestions myself, as I do have a bias both pro and con on some products, backed by very real observations and personal experience, and thru following many posts by knowledgable builders on many forums for over a decade, my views are well known here and will likley only start a flame war, which will do you little in the way of making an informed choice.good luck with your quest and enjoy the journey.

Tip Curtis.... Gets my nod. :thumbsup:

Although Mike Brooks would probably get my next gun order....

Shot and looked at several Tip Curtis guns, own and shoot three TVM guns. Can't say one is better then the other. Both build a good gun for the money, can't go wrong with either...just tell them what you want.

I have a TVM...

The barrel taper issue is as imortant as it is on any other class for firearm with regards to weight, handling and aesthetics. All else being equal, you want a tapered barrel.

Latest info is that the octagonal section of "default" TVM fowler barrels is straight, with the round section tapered. You need to specify this.

Another feature is that the ramrod channel is bored a bit far from the barrel channel, apparently to cut down labor time. The major effect of this is that the forearm has to be left pretty stout to allow room, adding more weight.

On mine the stainless vent liner is intalled a tad deep, again perhaps a labor-cutting measure to bypass the need for filing it down to be flush with the barrel. The resulting projection inside the barrel may be why a breech scraper wont turn and may complicate cleaning.

Other than that, the fit, finish and quality is fine. Specify the above features when you order and there's no reason you shouldn't have a pretty much perfect flinter.

I dunno how much it would add to the base price.

Birdwatcher

I have a rifle that had the liner intruding into the bore. It did snag stuff and was very annoying. I took it out and ground it down from the inside. Since I already had it out I used a Dremel tool to open the inside cone a bit more. Easy fix and this has been the only one in my experience. The several spares in my shop are all too long and will need to be ground down if they're ever used as replacements.

Back