• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two Neill Fields rifles get a new custodian

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found the old thread where a couple of Neill's works turned up at the Ancient Ones of Maine.

In Western Australia we have new gunlaws in 2024, far worse than the rest of Australia got in 1996. We are now limited in number each licensee can have, and they are fewer than we need to shoot the variety of competitions at Perth Muzzle Loading Club.
One of our members offered to part with two by Neill Fields, made during his time in Adelaide South Australia at Green River Rifle Works.
I was not really part of the scene back then though I had been muzzleloading for a few years. I visited Adelaide in 1982 and found the Charles Hunter Company building custom muzzleloaders and offering Green River rifles - still have the brochure, and I sure wish I had bought one then. Many years later I dealt with Allan Vaisham who had Green River Rifle Works Adelaide shop but retired some years ago now.
I believe these two were bought from the orignal owner several decades ago, and used with the very best skill and care since then. They formed part of his developed historic themed home, including a 19th century cabin with tinware lamps instead of electrickery, and many other themed items from US re-enacting makers.

Here they are: Top, a Pedersoli Brown Bess, notice all are the same length!; centre, Neill Fields 20G long fowler; bottom, Neill Fields long rifle .45 cal.
Three_flintlocks.jpg

The locks are special; note the roller in the frizzen springs and the 'waterproof' style pan fences. Do you know who made them?
both_locks.jpg

I have always thought Kentucky Rifles were a bit much; the Tiffany Lampshade of rifles.
This one has changed my mind. It real, it has done real work and its owner treated it as he saw best for half his lifetime. I have a bunch of books about long rifles and will be learning a whole lot more now.
A few more pics:
Kentucky_cheek+carving.jpg

The brass patchbox is added later, nonfunctional. The hand engraving and inletting were by Perth craftsmen.

Kentucky_patchbox.jpg
Kentucky_tang.jpg
Kentucky_foresight.jpg

The Fowler is also terrific, the styling so restrained. The big box in the first pic was made for it as a gift to the owner.

fowler_butt.jpg
fowler_muzzle.jpg
fowler_trigger_guard.jpg
fowler_muzzle.jpg

Last edited:
Back