• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Type of wood for a round ball block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssettle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm almost finished with my new possibles bag and was thinking of making a new block to keep my patched round balls in. I'd like something I can carry about 5 balls in. I have one now that holds 8 but it broke a couple years ago and I glued it back together. It was made was made from an old bed slat. It was a thin piece about a half inch thick and very strong. I really don't have any idea what type of wood it was. Anyway I'd like to know what you folks use and what will last without breaking.Thanks.Ssettle

I made my first one a couple weeks ago, it split on me when I tried using a different brand of ball. They must have been a bit bigger. Anyway I think a real knotty hard wood might be better. Like a rough old piece of Osage or Curly maple? Then make the holes just big enough that the patch takes the compression rather than putting too much pressure on the wood. That's my guess at what would last better.
Kirby

Ball boards are something I just started playing with. Had this one made from the same wood (Apple wood) my new .36 rifle was made. Also have one for my .12 ga but not sure what its made from.

nesrballboard.jpg

I have made severl out of walnut as that is what I have the most. Also have used cherry and maple. You could use most any wood; just make sure the holes just fit the patched ball snugly....not tight.

Hello Gang
Well being a poor homeless loyalist... I used hard wood skid material for three of them(for my 50 Cal.).. and I have also used maple (for my 75 Cal.) and birch (For my 45) all of these are still going strong after a few years of use (ok one the skid wood is darn near twenty years)...
My best regards just"a loyalist Dawg"...
:hatsoff: "GOD save the KING!!!"

'Dog, nothing wrong with using pallet wood; when I was working we got a bunch of stuff in on pallets. Surprising what wood you find in some of them!

Crafted my first one last night out of kiln dried red oak ( read = pallet board). Free is so hard to beat! Then I aged it with stain, flame, and Crisco! Stuck a leather strip on it and it's good to go. It has a unique curved handle and finger notch. Holds 9 balls. .50 cal. Then I left my camera at home or there would be a pic with this post. :shocked2: :redface:

Steve

Steve: I think you will find that NINE balls are too much weight to carry around, in addition to the weight of the ball board. For hunting, the most you will need is a board with 3 holes, and you will only rarely use all of them.

hey Paul,

thanks for that tip. I had no reference and just grabbed wood, pencil, tools and went to town on it.

It covers a dollar bill exactly plus the handle. So a six inch paddle and 3 inch handle = nine inch OAL.

Ya never know I could run into a feral hog baseball team (The Mudville Nine) in the woods and will need all nine shots. :shocked2:
right..... :youcrazy:
After I try it out, I just may shorten it down to 5 balls. The length is pretty handy for pocket carrying.

Steve

Back