• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1847 Walker vs. 1858 New Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we've pretty much ruled out the Walker as a first purchase (unless a stellar deal on one shows up at the gun show next weekend!). At this point I think my buddy is leaning toward the 1860 Colt Army as it's visually more interesting and less like a modern revolver in it's construction and appearance. Sort of the whole point of this exercise is to be able to experience some obsolete technology & equipment that is unlike the modern stuff. As I said, the both of us are operating in a vacuum when it comes to BP revolvers so the Remington's full-perimeter frame just looked sturdier to our eyes, but the consensus I've gotten here is that the open-top Colt's are not lacking in accuracy or longevity through normal use. Tossed down a flight of stairs maybe it's a different story for Colt vs. Remington, but hey, who plans on doing that!

Hatchet Jaque said:
Yeah, we've pretty much ruled out the Walker as a first purchase (unless a stellar deal on one shows up at the gun show next weekend!). At this point I think my buddy is leaning toward the 1860 Colt Army as it's visually more interesting and less like a modern revolver in it's construction and appearance. Sort of the whole point of this exercise is to be able to experience some obsolete technology & equipment that is unlike the modern stuff. As I said, the both of us are operating in a vacuum when it comes to BP revolvers so the Remington's full-perimeter frame just looked sturdier to our eyes, but the consensus I've gotten here is that the open-top Colt's are not lacking in accuracy or longevity through normal use. Tossed down a flight of stairs maybe it's a different story for Colt vs. Remington, but hey, who plans on doing that!

I'm beginning to feel like Burgess Meredith in Rod Serling's epic series "Twilight Zone", when Meredith was ruled as being "OBSOLETE'! :haha: .

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with the 1860 Army Colt! Nice choice and you'll have loads of fun!

Dave
User of "Obsoletes" :haha:

If you are leaning towards a Colt, pleasehave your buddy handle both the 1860 Army AND the 1851 Navy before making a choice. I love my Army, but the Navy points and flicks as if it were an extension of the wrist, rather than something you hold...to me, anyway. Something about it. I have never held a pistol with such inherent balance, even of modern design. A lot is going to depend on his individual taste and hand size, as well.

The cool thing about the 58 new army is you can by a Kirst conversion kit drop in cylinder to shoot 45lc blackpowder cartridges and it's easy to switch back and forth by just pulling the cylinder pin, half cock the hammer, pull out the cylinder, drop in the new one! All done without tools and in seconds.

My grandpa has a walker and its a riot to shoot. Like everyone esle says, it's huge, but I don't think it would be a bad choice for a first. They're a little more of a pain to take down and clean. Want an open top that's lighter? I sure like my 1851 Colt Navy and would recommend it. Stay away from brass frames. They'll work, but you're better off with steel. Plus you can't upgrade a brass frame to cartridge, its dangerous.

Sean Kelly

Latest posts

Back