• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Hawkens 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincer2012

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recently acquired a Hawkens 50 cal muzzeloading replica made by Uberti. I am having issues finding any information about it such as its age, barrel twist and available parts if needed to get back to shooting condition.

The barrel is stamped with "A. UBERTI & C. GARDONE V.T. ITALY 50 CAL" and the number 7063. I only know that it hasn't been used for over 5 years. There is minor surface rust on the barrel, the stock is in really great condition, the action seems crisp and working. I hope to be shooting it soon.

If anyone can provide me with information or someone that knows about this rifle I would be very appreciative. Thanks

Vince

Hello Vince,
You have one of the BEST Hawken reproduction rifles commercially made.
I believe it is called the " Santa Fe Hawken "
I can't remember how long it was produced, or exactly when ( I will check ) The stock shape very closely resembles an original. Unlike a Thompson Center, or CVA,
I believe your lock is color case hardened, as well as the tang. ( am I correct? )
There are no "wally world " brass or plastic furniture on your gun either.
Most likely you have a fine piece of wood as well ( walnut ? )
Are you sure that it is .50 cal., it should be about .53 cal, as were the originals.
I think you should send it to me for a while :redface:
All the best
Fred

I haven't owned one, but I seem to recall that the 54 cal version actually is more like 53 cal and uses a little smaller ball than most 54 cals. Dunno if that's true of the 50 too, but hopefully someone will chime in here.

Surface rust on the barrel isn't a big deal, and is pretty easy to clean up. Hopefully the bore is in great shape, because you do indeed have a goody there. I've always had my eye open for one, but so far no dice.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/f...1021121/hl/Western+Arms/fromsearch/1/#1021121

Will take you to a previous discussion of the rifle.

Everyone who knew of or were involved with the making of the Western Arms Hawken was disappointed (except maybe TC and some others making production rifles at the time) when the Italians were unable to make the rifle as Allen wanted it done. We had hoped that it would provide people with a traditionally styled rifle, a real Hawken, to counter the TC "Hawken".
I wish I had the prototype. It was a close copy of the J&S Hawken owned by the Montana Historical Society by a very skilled maker.
There is a drawing of this rifle in Baird's "15 years in the Hawken Lode".

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure it is a 50 cal. Using a micrometer, the inside of the barrel between the groves is 0.505 in and between the raised area is 0.498 in. The barrel also has 50 cal stamped on it.

I know Urberti made a 50 cal Hawkens replica but then stopped. I just don't know when it was made or any information about it.

I am not sure how to attach pictures to these posts. Once I do I will show you what it looks like.

Just acquired a .54 last night. It appears to be unfired. The bore appears to have a very light coating of "dry iron" surface rust. The lock plate and trigger plate are color case hardened, and the hammer and furniture are beautifully heat blued. No handling marks, and the barrel and thimbles are beautifully browned.

It is missing the hammer screw.

Top barrel flat is marked "ALLEN FA MFG CO - SANTA FE NM

Upper right flat 59xx 54 CAL

Out the door price: $100

Sounds like you found a nice muzzle loader for $100. I am still researching my 50 cal but I believe Uberti made a 54 and 58 cal rifle/kit. I think the 54 cal was called a Santa Fe, but don't hold me to that. Still too much of a newbie when it comes to these rifles.

I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures without becoming a Premium Member. That way I can show the barrel stamping showing mine is a 50 cal.

Back