• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Under hammer gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdirondakDD

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a under hammer gun. A Numrich Arms, Hopkins And Allen, "OFF HAND", West Hurley NY. I am told it is 45 cal. No other marks on it no BP only no caliber. The nipple needs replacement and the bore a cleaning it is soaking in Break Free now. Any one have one.

An underhammer is one of the few muzzleloaders that has never passed through my hands. I have borrowed, traded and bought almost every type of muzzleloader there is, hell I even had a mulesear pistol that somebody scratched together, I swear the wood came from a 2 by 8. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

As roaddog said, I too have never owned an underhammer....but by the same token I've never read or heard anything bad about them. As the nipple is threaded directly into the bottom barrel flat it would seem to me that ignition would be very, very good.

From what I understand the "Zephyr" is supposed to quite the rifle and it is an underhammer. Sorry I can't help you with nipple replacement but I would think it would be easy enough to find through Dixie or TOTW. Good luck.....sounds like a neat rifle.

Vic

Here you go.

50536.jpg

50556.jpg

Underhammer.jpg

PH0332.jpg

The top-two original looking rifles appear to be almost identical to the 'new' replica ones available in Germany. Are they available anywhere else?
: I, for one, would like a bench gun like the top piece, 24" twist, 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" bl. .50cal for up to 700gr. bullets. In .50, the 24" twist works well with these weights. A .50 Alaskan was tested to 900gr. with a 24" twist showing stability, at least at close range of 100yds.
; I think long range bench shooting with a 700gr. PP slug would be a blast, like 600 to 1,000yds.

The Hopkins and Allen looks like the second picture. Numrich sells new nipples for it, the old one may be peened bigger or it may be a #10.I'll know more when the new one arrives. The seller commented that the front stock was glued on as is the front thimble. I see inthe first picture that front stock was not used, not much to hold on to.

Try Thunder Ridge for a replacement nipple!
http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/nip_x_ref.htm
You need a 1/4 x 32 nipple....stock #5004S

IF you click on any 5001S nipple it will take you to the 2nd page where Mule ears and underhammers are listed...

Hope this helps.

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Another thing about the Numrich style nipples, they are square where you put the nipple wrench, so the ones for other nipples won't fit. :sorry:

UnderHammer-50.jpg

One of my home made Underhammers, uses a H&A hammer and trigger set.

My Mountain Rifle, 7/8s 50 cal. 27" long. A nice gun to carry.

I have the same rifle you just got .
Very good rifle and fast ignition.
I have seen some on this site say closest thing to an inline.

Dat is sum really purty wood on yore homemade rifel gun. :thumbsup: :redthumb: :imo:

Thank You, Slamfire.

The first time that I finished this stock, it was quite plain. I narrowed the reciever from 1" wide to 7/8s, then narrowed up the stock to fit. It was amazing on what was hiding under a 1/16 of plain looking maple. Not only does the gun feel and balance better, but also looks better!

No-BS

The Hopkins and Allen looks like the second picture.
The Third picture is the Hopkins and Allen Underhammer. The owner of this rifle (He has posted on this board.) took the time to transform the basic rifle into a work of art by doing some additional carving to the stock and forend.

As far as I know, no factory assembled Numrich H&A Underhammer forends were glued to the barrel. Holes are drilled into the bottom portion of the barrel and the front forend. The forend was then pinned to the barrel.

The only Numrich H&A Underhammer offered without a forend was the .45 Target Rifle.

The top underhammer looks like Hilliard in Cornish Flat, New Hampshire or Kendall in Windsor, Vermont. I have a Kendall almost identical to this, and Hilliard worked for Kendall before going into business for himself. It's hard to tell one man's output from the other's.

Open question: Most all Kendalls and many Hilliards are marked "Smith's Patent Stud Lock" stamped on the tang. Does anybody have any information on Smith or his patent? I have drawn a blank everywhere I looked. Inquiring minds want to know....

nice rifle, good looking wood. did you make the "action" part and attach the H&A parts? What barrel did you use?

rayb

I made the action. and used H&A hammer, trigger and guard spring. the bbl. is a dehass with a 1-30 or 36 twist.[?]

The barrels are easly removed, by loosening a set screw. Been using this system for 20 years.

54underHammer.jpg

My 54 RB shooter, has a 1" Green Mountain barrel with a 1-72 twist, she likes 135 ff for hunting.

My .36 caliber buggy rifle arrived today. It came accompanied with a range rod, cleaning jag, a bag of .45-50 caliber round patches that work well for cleaning, and a small bag of 00 buck, another of 000 buck with poly patches, and a third with some 9mm cast bullets. This one is a Numerich and comes complete with the .350 bore. My short starter from another source has NOT arrived yet, so I can't give you any accuracy data. :shake:

Back