• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Under Hammer Hopkin Allen 50 or bigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sperit de bois

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has one of the above rifles.
Always admired the style and simplicity of the rifle and would enjoy hearing about them.

Hi,
With my underhammer, I have several barrels for it.
.40, .45,.50,.54, and .58.
I had a H&A .36 years ago and it was very accurate and cheap to shoot.
Foolishly, I parted with it.
My .40 cal. is every bit as accurate.
Old Ford

Well, I don't have one. I had a .45 years ago while in Alaska and sadly I sold it. I am in the process of building one now. I obtained a newer H&A underhammer receiver, have bought a 42" .54 "C" - weight barrel and a slab of maple. I love these rifles!

BTW, howdy to a Mainiac! I miss my home state!

I bought a Heritage model H&A way back when they only came in .45 and .36. I still have it but the tg/hammer/trigger spring died. I killed everything from bobcats to deer with it and its accuracy is incredible.

I got another trigger guard/hammer spring for it but still need some way to "spring" the trigger, itself. Still working on ideas.
PICT0387-2.jpg

Hanshi,
There is a small spring held by the trigger mounting pin that keeps tension on the trigger. Sounds like yours is broken or missing. It looks like a horseshoe with different length legs. Without the trigger spring you have to manually push the trigger into the safe or full cock notches.
Mark

PB020349.jpg

Just a couple of the barrels. Got .45, .50, .54, .62.

Also have barrels in both smooth, rifled for RB, and fast twist for conical.

The original spring, which died after more than 40 years, did indeed have a flat leaf extension that pressed the rear of the trigger and caused it to engage the half and full cock notches in the hammer. This little leaf lost all its spring first followed by the whole thing. The new tg spring is from a different model and ONLY powers the hammer. A major cobbling job seems to be the only answer and I'm not a good nor imaginative cobbler. It's too dangerous to use this fine rifle in its present state. Alas. :(

Hnashi,
I'm not sure we are talking about the same spring. The H&A trigger guard has always only powered the hammer and is a flat spring. The trigger spring is a seperate item and as said is a wire spring. All models, new and old, use the same springs. If you send me an email I can send you a picture.
Mark

The new type trigger spring needs to be used with a new style trigger, the new style trigger is slotted for the spring.

The old style had a small spring extending off the rear of the main spring-trigger guard that served as a trigger spring and the trigger is not slotted!

You can install a new style trigger and trigger spring in the old style action.

Hanshi, if you are interested in an old style main spring-trigger guard-trigger spring send me a PT

I currently have 4 H&A type underhammer rifles in 36, 58 and 62 caliber (2-62 calibers).

SC45-70

Which model do you have Heritage,with forearm or target no forearm????Been all winter without a new rifle,,,,,

Sperit,
I have what you are calling the Heritage model, but it is not marked as such. It has a 26"X15/16" barrel in .50 caliber "with" a forearm. The serial number is 4 digit and the barrel is maeked Hopkins & Allen Arms. The only thing not original to the rifle are the fiber optic sights that the previous owner installed. The rifle is in Like new condition and could be taken as unfired, it might be. If you are interested, PM me as this is not the for sale site.
Mark

Mine is marked "Heritage Model" and has a fore end with a schnabel. It is from the mid-early 1960s so is a very early one. The original trigger/guard/hammer spring is wider than the replacement I bought.

I have two H & A's one is a double barrel rifle in 45 cal. each barrel has its own sight and nipple The first barrel is fired and than you cock the hammer and rotate the barrels and now the second barrel can be fired. The second is a 45 cal pistol much like the picture that SC45-70 has for his Avitar. Both are fun to shoot and both are very accuate. However Vermont has this weird law that a muzzleloader can only have one barrel to be legal during the primitive weapons deer season. so I can't use it than. I can however use the pistol. I can use the double during the reqular rifle deer season. I bought these used from a guy around 1980-81.

In responce to Papa and hawkeye 2

This is the type main spring that Hanshi needs!

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Note the small flat spring extension that serves as the trigger spring!

This is the "new style" trigger and trigger spring.

Picture004.jpg

3-1.jpg

SC45-70

Back