• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Under Hammers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colonial,

I agree with Pat, a Porta band works great!!

I did quite a bit of drilling and cutting,( just like your doing ) when I made my "Miss Muley". then I was gifted a cast off saw. My buddy MRW, helped make a saw stand for me.. This support frame makes it work like a small vertical bandsaw and I can concentrate on guiding the cut,, instead of balancing the weight of the saw.

here's a pic of the saw mounted to the frame..

Lilred2.jpg

Respect Always
Metalshaper

What a great idea. Having read the posts above your's I thought of us ing the jig saw with a suitable metal cutting blade. The cuts wandered a bit due to a certain lack of control, but I managed to do most of the cutting in about 20 minutes, and only broke the tip off one blade, and it's still OK for thinner metal.
DSC00745.jpg

Here's the Makita doing the heaviest cut of its life.

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00748.jpg

Some of the drawbacks were that I had to cut along the proposed drill holes or centre pop again...so I cut it out a bit larger than intended, but as it's to go on a target rifle a bit of extra size won't matter.
The other was that as the jig-saw cuts on the upward stroke then the chips come out the top.
Goggles are required for sure and the little chips make it hard to see the marks and as I was using liberal amounts of lard that didn't help visibility either; as the job warmed up it ran among the chips and I couldn't blow them away.

I shall have to do a little drilling to get around the corners. All the suggestions sure helped and it'll be a much quicker job.

Thanks Gents.

Well here's a bit of progress.
Things have been slow as I managed (through pure stupidity) to chop a bit of skin and flesh out of the ball of my left thumb. Never realise just how much the thumbs are used till one is sore :redface:
Anyway there has been some work dode. The blank is roughed out and a milling cut taken to try out the set-up.

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

Colonial,

Sorry to hear you got 'caught up' in your work :winking: hope the thumb is healing Ok!

Looks like your making good progress. I'm wondering what kind of milling equipment your using? How you went about setting it up and work holders you used.

Keep up the good work!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Colonial,

You should see some of my improvisations. :shocked2:

My 'mill'< if you can call it that? > is a converted baby drill press. Lucked out with the quill running on four, ball bearing sets. The real probem is the spindle is only about 13 - 14mm in diameter. I can mill with up to 1/2 endmills or a fly cutter to about an inch.. Its roughly the equivelant to some of the smaller, bench models..

Still, it does "Get-R Done"

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Here's the little lathe; end mill in the 3jaw and the job clamped in the tool-post. Everything done up TIGHT. Just finished the milling of the trigger slot.
DSC00764.jpg

Now here's the body with the rough milling completed.

DSC00765.jpg

The lathe is an Australian made 'Hercus' a copy of the 'South Bend'. Production of these lathes began during WW II under license from SB.

Colonial.

PS. Didn't notice before but the 4 little things in the slot that look like drops of water are....drops of water. I had just washed the job in the kitchen sink and nearly got caught by 'herself' so didn't dry off properly :haha:

Colonial,

That is the way My buddy and I have milled for a few years, on his lathe . His big Howa ( 24" swing X 8' bed ) has the alorous ( spl? ) tool holder system. If we can fit it in the holder.. we use that. On other ocassions, we've fashioned an auxillary platform,, that is held in the tool holder,, but allows us to clamp parts differently..

Now that his work has bought him a proper Mill :grin: I'm expecting him to make me A BUNCH of machined parts.. :rotf:

Great Work!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Project looks good! :thumbsup:

How thick was that steel that you cut with the jigsaw? Was it 1018?

Tommy

3/4" and just an off cut that I'd picked up, probably only mild steel. Cuts fairly easily and I was a bit surprised that the jig saw handled it.
I suppose that the quality of the blades counts the most. The one that I broke the tip off was entirely my own fault in not letting the saw stop before withdrawing the blade.

Colonial Boy.

Here's just how I chopped the thumb.I rested the left hand on the fixed jaw, just over the silver bit in the centre and as I released the back jaw the silver bit bit ! !
DSC00756.jpg

and here's the bitten bit.
DSC00757.jpg

If anyone has a similar vyce the solution is either not to rest on the jaw or to weld on an extension; which I'm doing. This was the second time that I'd caught myself...same vyce, same thumb :redface: :redface:

Colonial Boy.

Colonial Boy,

I hope that thumb is feeling better,

I have a book called Underhammer Guns written by Herschel Logan written in 1960, in it there is a "inletted" style underhammer made by H. Woody that is alot like your creation. The action in this book has what looks like a set trigger on it, and the hammer spring is a coil on a plunger. They are remarkably similar though. If you want I can post a picture or email a picture to you.

your project looks great :thumbsup:

Tommy

Colonial Boy said:
c161c53c.jpg

Thanks for the replies, there's nothing like talking a thing out.
Above, I've drawn in what I think the mainspring would probably be[url] like.In[/url] the first I simply left the spring where it was on half cock on the original flintlock.

I've been into the scrap box and found a suitable piece of steel, put a new blade in the hacksaw and tomorrow I'll roll up my sleeves... :grin:

If you look at all the straight lines of this 'works', the bent main spring just doesn't look right..............but doesn't really matter, if it works! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spitfire,

I dont have a scanner but I just took a picture of it. I do not see an option to post a JPEG, only URL images, is there another way I can post it?

Tommy

Back