• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knew a fellow who's brother overcharged his side lock and sheared the hammer off, narrowly missing his head. The bolster stayed put but I doubt that was much comfort.

The other thing about the flash guard is the protection it affords against nipple blow out. As it is held in place my the nipple and the angles of the next two flats either side of the bottom it would loosen up if the threads were beginning to fail or back out and one would notice it immediately at capping.
That's one of the reasons it was needed for my shooting style as I pull my support arm clear back against the flash guard for match shooting.
I used to set my coat sleeve on fire regularly before coming up with this design and have burned my forearm more than once as well. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. :grin: MD

If we are telling tales about shooting. I have felt the blowback from an underhammer. In the end it was the result of a cheap nipple with a large center hole that shattered the caps.

New nipple no problem. I was using 45 grains in a 45 cal. that is a light load by some peoples standards.

Back