• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamese4570

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Does anybody have any experience with Blue Grouse underhammer rifles? Looks like something that I need. Thinking about a 36 caliber. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Siamese4570

While I don't have a Blue Grouse, I do have an old H & A (Hopkins & Allen) underhammer. There are some differences, particularly in the shape of the action housing (curved vs. straight), and barrel. I will say that the underhammer design provides a relatively fast and strong ignition. The only complaint being that depending on where I hold the forestock, it can tend to leave powder residue on my wrist. So I usually put a section of an old cut off sock over my wrist to shield it from getting blackened.
Since the H & A has a flat breech plug design inside the barrel, the area inside the barrel between the breech plug and the nipple hole (especially the very bottom of the barrel at the plug) seems to accumulate more powder residue than any of my other guns and really requires me to scrape the fouling with a scraper. I can't say whether this holds true for the Blue Grouse rifles or not.

I purchased one this spring. It's a fine gun except for one possibly MAJOR item. The barrel is rougher than H*** inside. I haven't shot it enough to comment on the accuracy. But when loading it goes THUMP, THUMP, THUMP as the ball and patch go from rough spot to rough spot. I fire lapped the barrel with 30 shots and still no change, so will either live withit if it shoots or will sell.

Othern

Othern: If the barrel was made by Deer Creek, that might explain it. They supposedly bought the old Douglas muzzleloading barrel machinery, but someone wiser than I am told me regarding Deer Creek that it is one thing to have the tools and quite another to know how to use them right.

In essence both. It was made by deer creek and I bought it from Blue Grouse.

I have a buggy rifle and a boot pistol,both excellent shooters.The barrel does need a couple hundred shots through it before it groups well.Deer creek seem to be good people to deal with,I had a trigger problem they fixed with no argument after I had the gun for about a year.

My buggy rifle is also a Numrich version of the Hopkins and Allen purchased from blue grouse. Called a .36 it is really a .35. Real smooth barrel, but the black powder I've used needed wiping each shot, so I'm gonna try to find a good Pyrodox load.

:agree:--A friend ordered a .36 from Blue Grouse and that barrel was rough as a brick chimney. He never fired it, just sent it back for refund, which he did get but was out time and postage. No amount of shooting would have smoothed out that bore, it was inexcusable, like they never even looked through it.
Also, what Blue Grouse calls "in the white" does not match my definition of that term. The forestock was just a 2X2 and the buttstock was only very roughly shaped and off-center.
The old Hopkins & Allen rifles from Numrich Arms were cheap guns but in every way superior to the new manure from Deer Creek. I had thought about one of their CVA Mountain Rifles but after seeing the bore of that underhammer I have no reason to expect the Mountain Rifles would be any better.
Haste makes waste and I think Deer Creek's barrel making is way too hasty.-- :results:

What you have there is another Deer Creek, which unfortunatly uses the Hopkins & Allen name. Or I should say "abuses" that name. :curse: :curse:

All H&A, Mowry and CVA style mountain rifles and squirrel rifles come from Deer Creek, I believe you are making your claim based on one rifle barrel. I have had several and they are good guns for the money. The bores on several of mine are very nice. Where else can you get a kit for that kind of money that will turn out a very serviceable rifle. If you want a custom then pay for it. My Deer Creek squirrel rifle will shoot one ragged hole at 30 yards with #O buckshot. I do not know of a lot of custom barrels that will do better. :says:ET

No, not just one, I know of an "OTHERN"-- :: :: ::
They are cheap guns because they are built cheap and it's no bargin if you have to send it back or replace the barrel.
The old H&A's were cheap but decent rifles, Deer Creeks rip-off of H&A is just cheap. There is no reason an underhammer action with two moving parts should cost $100 and for an other $100 or less you can get a Green Mountain barrel and pick up a couple of pieces of birch from the lumber yard scrap pile (about what you get in their kit) and have a good rifle.
As I said, I was attracted by there price but after seeing one barrel I don't think I'd gamble on it. :imo:

I bought one of the underhammer actions from Deer Creek with the buttstock fitted, I have found the action to be sturdy and fairly well made. The stock was rough, but it was a nice piece of maple that had a bit of figure in it to boot. I have never seen their barrels, but I had a barrel that was sitting unused and the Deer Creek offered a convenient way of putting it into a shooting state. I wouldn't knock these actions, nor do I think that $125 is too much to spend on one, it's a lot of rifle for the money. But one of the great things about this country is that there isn't any law that says that everyone needs to agree, and if you feel that the products are manure than by all means spend your money elsewhere.

You got it right. Ive got nothing but good stuff and service from deercreek the last 10 years or so, had some problems with my mowrey (shoots better than I can aim with a scope on my 50 and 54 buggy rifle)but they sent a new part to replace it. I got a theroy on :front: :front: why some bad ones got out for a few months last year but Ill keep that to myself they did have some guys working for them that didnt stay long i think, and thats a WAG. But its funny how some of us got great barrels and others didnt ?????????? all I can say is IM real happy with mine.

Back