• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown smoothbore caplock. European proofs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstiles1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening folks. I was hoping for some help identifying this old musket. It appears to be Civil War era, but there is no maker's name that I can find. It looks like there are some European proofs but I can't identify them online. I have a book coming but it's a couple weeks out. I'm leaning towards a Belgian import like a Piedmont, but I'm unsure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1844 LEFT.jpg
    1844 LEFT.jpg
    194.4 KB
  • Barrel Band  Mark 3.jpg
    Barrel Band Mark 3.jpg
    879.9 KB
  • Barrel Band Front.jpg
    Barrel Band Front.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • Barrel Band Mark 2.jpg
    Barrel Band Mark 2.jpg
    952.2 KB
  • Barrel Bottom Mark.jpg
    Barrel Bottom Mark.jpg
    3 MB
  • Barrel Marks 3.jpg
    Barrel Marks 3.jpg
    2.5 MB
  • Barrel Marks 4.jpg
    Barrel Marks 4.jpg
    2.7 MB
  • Buttplate Marks.jpg
    Buttplate Marks.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • 1844 RIGHT.jpg
    1844 RIGHT.jpg
    168 KB
  • Stock Marks Wrist.jpg
    Stock Marks Wrist.jpg
    3.2 MB
It's a Prussian M1809/12 UM, or as more commonly referred to in the US a M1809/39 or Potsdam musket. The 1844D on the barrel is the year of percussion alteration and letter code for the Danzig Arsenal.

I appreciate the responses. Grayrock, do you have any reference websites that I can further research? Or any further info on the markings? I really appreciate your effort.

Back