• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown smoothbore caplock. European proofs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstiles1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening folks. I was hoping for some help identifying this old musket. It appears to be Civil War era, but there is no maker's name that I can find. It looks like there are some European proofs but I can't identify them online. I have a book coming but it's a couple weeks out. I'm leaning towards a Belgian import like a Piedmont, but I'm unsure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1844 LEFT.jpg
    1844 LEFT.jpg
    194.4 KB
  • Barrel Band  Mark 3.jpg
    Barrel Band Mark 3.jpg
    879.9 KB
  • Barrel Band Front.jpg
    Barrel Band Front.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • Barrel Band Mark 2.jpg
    Barrel Band Mark 2.jpg
    952.2 KB
  • Barrel Bottom Mark.jpg
    Barrel Bottom Mark.jpg
    3 MB
  • Barrel Marks 3.jpg
    Barrel Marks 3.jpg
    2.5 MB
  • Barrel Marks 4.jpg
    Barrel Marks 4.jpg
    2.7 MB
  • Buttplate Marks.jpg
    Buttplate Marks.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • 1844 RIGHT.jpg
    1844 RIGHT.jpg
    168 KB
  • Stock Marks Wrist.jpg
    Stock Marks Wrist.jpg
    3.2 MB
It's a Prussian M1809/12 UM, or as more commonly referred to in the US a M1809/39 or Potsdam musket. The 1844D on the barrel is the year of percussion alteration and letter code for the Danzig Arsenal.

I appreciate the responses. Grayrock, do you have any reference websites that I can further research? Or any further info on the markings? I really appreciate your effort.

I appreciate the responses. Grayrock, do you have any reference websites that I can further research? Or any further info on the markings? I really appreciate your effort.

I don't know if a particularly good write up on them online. I can pull some figures for you this week if you like. About 165,000 "Prussian" muskets were purchased by the US Ordnance Department during the Civil War. A little over 100,000 of them were described as smoothbores like this one.

The buttplate on your's is a replacement that was likely added when the gun was converted to percussion to replace the excessively worn original brass buttplate.

The markings on the buttplate are also Prussian and identify the gun as #219 of the 4th Landwehr Regiment, 1st Company.

If you care to buy a book that covers them "European Arms in the Civil War" by Schwalm and Hofmann is very good. Kruger's "The Potsdam Musket" is also a decent source of information and is pretty much specific to the Model 1809/12.

Last edited:
You are fortunate that it retains the sights, most have been removed along with the swivels. Correct Brown Bess swivels (Rifle Shoppe) are very close replacements. The rammer is a replacement, again the Rifle Shoppe has the correct one. The bayonet retaining latch is also missing, Rifle Shoppe again.
Nominal .71" caliber and they are good shooters. The first muzzleloader I ever shot, about 65 years ago, was a Potsdam and I still have it.

I don't know if a particularly good write up on them online. I can pull some figures for you this week if you like. About 165,000 "Prussian" muskets we're purchased by the US Ordnance Department during the Civil War. A little over 100,000 of them were described as smoothbores like this one.

The buttplate on your's is a replacement that was likely added when the gun was converted to percussion to replace the excessively worn original brass buttplate.

The markings on the buttplate are also Prussian and identify the gun as #219 of the 4th Landwehr Regiment, 1st Company.

If you care to buy a book that covers them "European Arms in the Civil War" by Schwalm and Hofmann is very good. Kruger's "The Potsdam Musket" is also a decent source of information and is pretty much specific to the Model 1809/12.
That would be wonderful if it's not putting you out. I really do appreciate the effort.

You are fortunate that it retains the sights, most have been removed along with the swivels. Correct Brown Bess swivels (Rifle Shoppe) are very close replacements. The rammer is a replacement, again the Rifle Shoppe has the correct one. The bayonet retaining latch is also missing, Rifle Shoppe again.
Nominal .71" caliber and they are good shooters. The first muzzleloader I ever shot, about 65 years ago, was a Potsdam and I still have it.
The Rifle Shoppe seems to be a great source for parts. Thanks. The stuff I need will cost more than the musket itself. I paid $100 for it. I figured I couldn't go wrong even if I didn't know what it was. LOL.

You stole it for $100, cleaned up, with a good bore and parts replaced it'll bring from 7 to 9. A lot of skirmishers shoot them.
I did the conservation to it already. After some reading, it seems to have likely been issued to Ohio militia. I have a CW bayonet, frog, belt buckle, belt and some other things that were in the family. I haven't really looked into the bayonet so I'm hoping it is the correct one for the Potsdam.

Back