• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloading after the hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I tried to blow the charge out of the rifle this evening and it wouldn't budge. I finaly had to use the ball puller. This is a .50cal WMC using patch round ball and a musket nipple.

What are you using to get a tight fit on the nipple to use the compressor to blow the charge out? I tried a air gun nozzle and a tire inflater adaptor. With the air gun I taped the holes closed but it still didn't blow it out. I guess there was about 90psi. Sure would be nice to be able to blow the charge out.

thanks

Did you replace the gun's nipple with either a special fitting, or a nipple that was drilled out to allow the air pressure to go into the powder chamber? If you used the gun's nipple, the small diameter of the oriface will prevent all that pressure from doing much good.

Thumbs,
I bought a C02 Discharger a couple of years ago.It worked great and still does ....about 75% of the time.Every once in awhile it just won't budge a load.No matter if the cylander is brand new.I picked the nipple and everything.No matter though,where I hunt it's quite remote so I just slip out onto the camp steps and shoot er' off!Then clean,Don't take too long anyhow.I discharge my gun every night.

thumbs said:
Ok I tried to blow the charge out of the rifle this evening and it wouldn't budge. I finaly had to use the ball puller. This is a .50cal WMC using patch round ball and a musket nipple.

What are you using to get a tight fit on the nipple to use the compressor to blow the charge out? I tried a air gun nozzle and a tire inflater adaptor. With the air gun I taped the holes closed but it still didn't blow it out. I guess there was about 90psi. Sure would be nice to be able to blow the charge out.

thanks
Remove the nipple first...hard to get much air pressure and volume through that tiny orifice.
And get a tapered rubber cone screw on tip for your air gun...jam that tight into the threaded nipple sest and blast away...keep the muzzle in a safe direction.
I have all that but it's simpler and faster for me to just use my ball puller, then I bloop the powder charge out

Ok thanks guys. Never thought of a rubber tip for the air gun. I "can" just pull the ball and take it outside a touch er off but I don't want to have to do that all the time. I would rather not discharge at the end of the hunt but I have done that for years. I may still do it.

I bought one of those dischargers a while back. I think it was a T/C. Anyway it wasn't cheap. One of those all aluminum ones. It never really worked very well for me and those cylinders can get expensive.

I don't want to rely on the ball puller. I know that's what it's used for but I just can't help thinkin everytime I use it that something is gonna break down there and then I'll be screwed.

Is there a special fitting that you can get to go in the nipple hole? This is a T/C 1/4x28.

I think most of the time I blew the charge out in the past was using conicals. I think they fit much looser. I am using prb now. It sure was tight last night.

thanks

thumbs said:
Never thought of a rubber tip for the air gun. Is there a special fitting that you can get to go in the nipple hole? This is a T/C 1/4x28.
No dependence of the thread size...just stop by any place that sells air tools like an automotive parts place...they usually have a section of air tool accessories and you should see a blisterpac with a rubber tapered tip bonded to a threaded section that screws into your air gun/trigger unit that's on the end of your air hose.

Just unscrew the little pipe tip that is usually in place, and substitute the tapered rubber cone tip...I just leave mine on there and use it for everything

halftail

Which discharger did you buy? I bought mine to use in the field just in case of a problem while out. Mine always leaked. I would get another one if I thought it would not leak and work.

It takes about 30 sec. to get to where I hunt so just befor I get to the point that Its unsafe to shoot I just shoot the load out and when I get home I use water to clean things up dosn't take long if only one shot was taken. Tom

It would be nice if someone made an adaptor for the air gun attachment that would screw in like a nipple or a touch hole for flint lock shooters e, maybe this is a project? You can get some thin hose for things like an air brush and attach it to a musket nipple with spring steel clamps? and have a small o ring at the top of where it screws into the snail? Yep I can see it now. I have used those rubber cone shaped rubber adapters on air guns to blow out brake calipers I had to rebuild.

I like to discharge mine into a deer. It saves the trouble of having to pull the ball :wink:

Seriously, I do exactly what Roundball said.

HD

Now thats the best suggestion I hear out of all of em. I hope to give your idea a try this afternoon. I'll let ya know how it works out. :grin:

thumbs said:
halftail

Which discharger did you buy? I bought mine to use in the field just in case of a problem while out. Mine always leaked. I would get another one if I thought it would not leak and work.
Thumbs,
I bought it from Cabelas.Can't remember if it was Just the Cabelas Brand or not.I think it was.I'm,for the most part satisfied with the discharger but it's that once in awhile that it just won't blow out the charge.Those times I figure I had brought the loaded and uncapped rifle into the Warm/Hot hunting camp while retrieving the discharger and when I returned to the cold outdoors it didn't want to budge.Now when I load in the morning I immeadiatly take the gun outside and hang it on the hooks that is under the roof of the veranda,out of the weather.When I return at lunch time I leave it outside and when it's time to discharge the load at night it always works.I don't know why but this is what I find.(Where is the shrugging shoulders icon?) :grin:

I like the idea of haveing one in the field just in case but I really wasn't to happy with the one I have. I would just go out and get another one but they ain't cheap. Especially for what I want it for.

Anyway went to Harbour Freight and picked up some different stuff to try to blow the charge out with the compressor. They had an air gun with a rubber tip for 3 bucks. I took it home and because I wanted to try it out told my wife I had to go hunting so I could return with a charged barrel and have to blow it out. Anyway it worked like a charm. I did take the nipple out and put it right in the hole. Sealed great and blew the charge out clean. Now for a good co2 discharge that works.

Thanks for all the help guys

I just drop the hammer on the percussion cap when I'm done hunting with my muzzleloaders. It works better and far more reliablly than a litte CO2 cartridge.

Whenever possible I always consider it one more last chance to practice my offhand shooting at the end of the day. Gets rid of that charge every time.

I don't think 90 psi is enough. I used my oxygen tank from my torches without regulator and cleared the barrel. If you have access to a shop you should be able to come up with the parts to do the job. I don't know how safe this was so BEWARE. It just worked for me.

TYPICAL operating tank pressure on an Oxygen bottle is about 2200 psi.

The thought of that scares me, besides what the O2 could do with the powder charge. My initial impression is that this idea should not be used in the same sentence with "safe".

Depending on the situation, when it is time to clear the barrel, I just aim in a safe direction and fire it out. What makes the difference? You blow it out and scrub it or blow it out and scrub it? It appears that you are going to end up scrubbing it either way.

Yeah your right about cleaning anyway. Two things though. These are my reasons.

The first, and the most important to me, is that I really don't want to make any more noise than possible when in the woods. Yes I realize it's the end of the day but if I can do anything to leave as quietly as I go in maybe it will translate into less hunting pressure. I can't discharge at home.

The second is if the shot is not fired it makes for a little easier cleanup when I get back.

Latest posts

Back