• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unpinning a Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When removing the barrel pins, what exactly do you do to make sure you don’t blow out and annihilate the wood around the pins?

I’ve a barrel I need to take out to ship out for some work but am absolutely terrified about doing this myself.

Any tips?? Thanks gang!!!

-Smokey

first you need the proper size punch.and make sure the punch tip is flat or it may slip off of the pin and into the wood. check to see if one side of the pin is a little recessed. if so you can start your punch in that little hole, drive the pin out a bit and grab it with pliers. if not recessed be very careful not to let the punch slide off the pin. tap gently only until you can get a grip on the pin. if they were not recessed ,before you replace them shorten them a bit for next time. dont forget to grind or file the ends round and smooth.

first off, did you install the pins? if you did, did you chamfer the ends of the pins?
if they weren't chamfered you need to go VERY slow when driving them out. also see if you can determine from which side they were driven in when installed, and drive them out from the opposite side.
if they were chamfered, you need to go very slow................................
use the proper diameter punch that will fit into the pin hole without enlarging it.
If the worst happens, and a splinter is popped out, SAVE that sliver. they can be glued back with the repair only noticeable to you.
best of luck.

Back