• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unusual Brown Bess Lock marking??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankthePipey

32 Cal
Reaction score
Gentlemen, a bessy is on the way to me. Seller told me it was "likeley produced for african native infantry. Lock has a marking of a Lion?? (maybe other animal) facing right with a shield.
looked up and down the internet. Could not find any similar markings. any idea?
yours aye
Frank

Attachments

• 457039866_8258880817482516_6887024820681158783_n.jpg
    457039866_8258880817482516_6887024820681158783_n.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
I would have thought Ethiopia, as they display the Lion of Judah on firearms, but their version is always thus

LION OF JUDAH RECEIVER STAMP.jpg

Now Sierra Leon uses the Lion Rampant, which is what the lion on your musket would be called. Sierra Leone was used by the British for resettlement of African heritage people from the 13 Colonies, as well as Nova Scotia. Then in the 19th century, Sierra Leone became a full fledged colony of the UK. It's possible that like India, when the British switched to Enfield caplock rifles, the 3rd Model Besses in flintlock were given to the colony.

Also note that your musket the lion is rampant on a shield. The modern Coat of Arms for Sierra Leone uses a shield with two lions...

SIERRA LEON MODERN COAT OF ARMS.jpg

LD

Last edited:
The Brown Bess turns out to be a (probably african) "trade gun." a little bis dissapointed but still a piece with history and not too shabby. Made in England as it has the birmingham proof on the barrel.

@Dave: i followed your idea of Sierra Leone: there is one musket from Sierra Leone mentioned in the Royal Armouries. The discription says that there is a proof mark "E under crown"on it. There is a similar looking proof on my musket. In the first place an "E" does not make sense? Still cannot find the Rampant lion with shield mark anywhere else.....

Back