• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

up coming russian boar hunt !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys i need your suggestions. in febuary i am going on a boar hunt for my birthday. I am planning on taking a muzzleloader. where i am hunting there are some huge hogs there, and a guy there just recently shot a 610 pound boar. now most of the boars there are in the 250 pound range but I want to be prepared for anything lol. i am debating between my double barrel smooth bore 12 guage or my 54 cal t/c hawken. my load in the 54 is 110 grains of FF and a 430 grains pure lead maxi-ball. in the double 12 i would pry use 90 to 100 grains of FF and a PRB. but i cant decide which to use.the 12 guage would offer a quick back up shot, but the 54 is more accurate. the 12 guage i am getting around 4 inch groups at 50 yards. the 54 will shoot a group over half that size at 50 yards. the maxi balls in the 54 would have good penetration against those tough russian boars, which is defintly needed. i think im leaning towards the 54, but i want to use the one with the most knock down power. which would you choose ? i dont know how far the shots will be, all i know is that we will be hunting from ground blinds. thanks SS.

54 should do the job fine - the shot placement is important and the advantage will be with the rifle

I would take the .54. A .44 mag revolver is on my side when Boar hunting with Black powder. Larry Wv

First of all, I haven't met anyone who has shot a wild boar at more than 50 yards. Shots are usually measure in feet, not yards! So, either gun will do the job. Shot placement is important, and I would choose the rifle for that reason. Use a conical, and the one you have there is more than enough, even for those 600 lbers. PIgs are nervous animals, and when scared, run off in the first game trail they see. Don't be standing on that game trail, and you will be all right. Don't move and they will have a hard time seeing you or distinguishing you from surrounding trees. We had tree charges in a group of 7 hunters the last time I went boar hunting. In all the cases, the person being charge was moving. One was a spectator trying to take pictures of the kill.The hunter killed the boar he shot with an arrow, that passed completely through the shoulder blades and lungs of the hog, but it slid to a stop, dead, only about 6 feet in front of the camera guy. He was standing on the main game trail the hog was trying to use for his escape, and didn't realize he was in the way until the hog died. Lucky camera guy. He kept adjusting his zoom lens as the hog came charging right towards him up the path, he told us later.

The two others were hunters who fired shots that wounded the boars, and then made moves towards trees to climb, and ended up shooting over their shoulders as they were being chased around the tree. One of the hunters had a 12 ga. riot gun, and the slug killed the charging boar in its tracks. The other hunter I believed use a .357mag. revolver, and ended up shooting the boar several times before it dropped. The ammo was loaded with jacketed hollow points designed to stop humans, not tough hogs.

Use the .54 conicals. They will serve you well. One of the hogs killed by another member of the party was killed with his .54 Renegade, shooting a Maxi-hunter, I believe. A One-shot kill.

i would take 12ga double, with double rb in each, or double rb first, buck and ball in second. make sure you have a firm tree to climb on, the bigger they get, the meaner they are, a nd one shot from any rifle may not be enough to prevent them charging at you.

In my opinion I'd take the .54. I've shot 4 wild boar and all with a .50 flintlock with prb. All in one shot each. They don't die that hard. Like the others have said in the previous posts, shot placement is the trick. It's a lot of fun if you all can dress pc, and kinda make it a group thing.

I have hunted Boar twice. The first time it rained all day and I had to use a poncho to keep anything dry! The second time was in January, in Tenn. and the state received its first snowfall in years. It was so cold the next morning that I had to abandon my period dress for the warmest coverall I had brought along!

But, its a great idea and experience, if you can do it.

What is the best shot placement on a boar with a .54 cal round ball?

Thank you,
BillK

If you are talking RB, aim for the heart/lung area behind the elbow of either foreleg, on a broadside shot. center of chest if he's looking at you. Angle the shot down from under his chin to the middle of his body, and the ball will take the heart, and possibly one lung.

The head shot works, if you are close enough, and calm enough to hit that small target area. :thumbsup:

Hi Sniper. The .54 has one Tenn hog to its record.Dropped in its tracks with a shot in heart area with a Max-ball and 110 grs of 2ff. Just take dads .44 Red Hawk for a back up. Better shoot it before you go,as they kick up a bit. PP Dilly

Back