• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

USA Cva mnt rifle range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wv_mingo327

32 Cal
Reaction score
hope im posting in the proper place.

took my mnt rifle out today for the first time with this one had her for around a year and between work and life never could get her out but anyway started off with .490 ball , 0.015 pre lubed patches and 50grns i was able to hit the paper at 25 yards but was wondering moved up to 60grns a little better but she was still wondering shot a total of around 11-14 shots with both loads having to clean about every 4th shoot or was hard to load even with my range rod switched over to some hand cut ticking that’s 0.018” thick lubed with @Stumpkiller moose snot which i made up about a week ago started with 50grns the 0.018 patch and .490 ball same 25 yards boy oh boy did the ol girl tighten her groups up then but i still felt like she could do better so i upped it to 60grns and same patch ball combo with moose snot i couldn’t be happier she shot how iv alwasy wanted to shoot while learning over the last year and a half man can she group might i add that the moose snot is leaps and bounds above any other lube iv tried and iv tried a few in several other rifles of mine even my other mnt rifles i shot a total of 17 shoots using the ticking and moose snot and wiped the barrel out one time after 8 shots not because it was getting hard to load either might i add but that’s when i switched from 50grn up to 60grns. the picture below is of a target i moved out to 67 yards measured with my range finder , the very first shot was the lowest shot on the paper, raised my year sight a turn and maybe a quarter with the set screw then shot again which is the shoot to the right made a very miner adjustment to the left with the rear sight loaded her back up and shot 3 more times there the ones that are all on big ol hole almost dead in the bullseye but still just a tad to the right ( she had been shooting to the right at the 25yards but was grouping really good for me with the ticking and moose snot combo ) if i get time i may try to tweak her to shoot just a little more to the left but i don’t know if i’ll do it or not i’m supper pleased with how she done at that distance.

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    834.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
hope im posting in the proper place.

took my mnt rifle out today for the first time with this one had her for around a year and between work and life never could get her out but anyway started off with .490 ball , 0.015 pre lubed patches and 50grns i was able to hit the paper at 25 yards but was wondering moved up to 60grns a little better but she was still wondering shoot a total of around 11-14 shoots with both loads having to clean about every 4th shoot or was hard to load even with my dang rod switched over to some hand cut ticking that’s 0.018” thick lubed with @Stumpkiller moose snot which i made up about a week ago started with 50grns the 0.018 patch and .490 ball same 25 yards boy oh boy did the ol girl tighten her groups up then but i still felt like she could do better so i upped it to 60grns and same patch ball combo with moose snot i couldn’t be happier she shot how iv alwasy wanted to shoot while learning over the last year and a half man can she group might i add that the moose snot is leaps and bounds above any other lube iv tried and iv tried a few in several other rifles of mine even my other mnt rifles i shot a total of 17 shoots using the ticking and moose snot and wiped the barrel out one time after 8 shots not because it was getting hard to load either might i add but that’s when i switched from 50grn up to 60grns. the picture below is of a target i moved out to 67 yards measured with my range finder , the very first shot was the lowest shot on the paper, raised my year sight a turn and maybe a quarter with the set screw then shot again which is the shoot to the right made a very miner adjustment to the left with the rear sight loaded her back up and shot 3 more times there the ones that are all on big ol hole almost dead in the bullseye but still just a tad to the right ( she had been shooting to the right at the 25yards but was grouping really good for me with the ticking and moose snot combo ) if i get time i may try to tweak her to shoot just a little more to the left but i don’t know if i’ll do it or not i’m supper pleased with how she done at that distance.
Sounds like you had a good day.

Stumpy's Moose Snot

A premium multi-shot between wiping(10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range.

SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block

Beeswax 2 oz.

Castor Oil 8 oz.

Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set a pot ofwater. ( A double-boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee canand measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it intomeasuring cups). Add just enough water so the inner can does notbegin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can).Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oiland Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap thecastor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswaxto the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as themixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum thatfloats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THEMIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heatfurther. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe thewater off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when youpour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's OilSoap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy andsmooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem tomatter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of avice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a halfhour.

Back