• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

used tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone know of some bulletin boards that list used canvas tents. I am seriously thinking about buyig a pyramid tent. If I could find a decent used one I'd be happy.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You should have no trouble finding a used pyrimid tent, folks often find they can not wait to find someone that will take them off their hands!

The concept looks great but works terribly. A great deal of unusable space and no where to stand other than by the center pole. The corners never stand without sagging, water drips in the door opening and everyone winds up taking at least one fall trying to step over the door opening flap at the bottom of the door. (We had to take a guy to the hospital just this weekend when he introduced his head to his fire irons while trying to exit his pyrimid tent.) The tent area intrudes on the awning space in front of the tent and the dinky triagular awning they sew to the top of the door is a nuscience.

They are not accepted as accurate historically for 3/4 of the sites in the eastern US.

Still, some folks love them, obviously not living in one for more than one night at a time and never going in or out the door.

You can usually pick one up real cheap at any rondy you visit. Look for the guy sitting outside one with a bandage on his head!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

A nice wedge tent will do you a much more satisfactory job.

Ghost - your going to have to learn to not hold back and say what your really thinking :rotf:

just razzing you Ghost - honestly, what you have pointed out about the one pole is as accurate as one can get - a wedge or wall tent is the way to go.

JWP said:
Ghost - your going to have to learn to not hold back and say what your really thinking :rotf:

just razzing you Ghost - honestly, what you have pointed out about the one pole is as accurate as one can get - a wedge or wall tent is the way to go.

Hold back? You mean you can do that???

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I only speak from my own experience. I failed to metion the hunter tent that I sold at half cost after one year of use and the one my wife gave away after we married. It took us all summer to find someone that would come and haul away that piece of $%!&.

:hatsoff:

But like I said, some people love them. To each his own.

Hey Ghost get off the fence and say what you mean!!!!!

Just joshing, having never owned one I appreciate the advice. I was looking because they look user friendly. I am not really worried abut the acceptability but the useability is VERY important. The wasted space is something I was wondering about too.

My son-in-law has one and it is alright.It is easy to put up. Put 4 stakes in corners and put up the pole. It has a fly on it. It don't leak in the door either.The firewater makes them fall out the door. It has plenty of room to camp in. Think it is a 10ft square at base. He had a Amish sew it for him. The Amish copied the one in Panther Primitives Catlog. If he has it up I camp in it. I don't drink so I don't have any trouble with the door. Panther says in their catlog that they go way back in time? Dilly

YA... RIGHT :rotf:
Try about 1850.....maybe
Sears sold them out of their catalogs as Miners tents.
Check the 1902 catalog

I like that pole up the middle. I hang all my stuff on it and I use it to drag my sorry self out of bed in the morning.

WB

If ya had a wedge or a wall tent you could hang twice as much stuff and have TWO poles to drag yorself out of bed with. ;-)

yeah, two skinny poles. If I sit up in bed, one pole would be way down yonder by my feet, and the other pole way up there where my head used to be. The single pole it right there to grab. Besides, one pole is one less pole to forget and leave home. If I do forget my one pole, I just hang the tent out of a tree. Then I have to crawl out of bed.

WB

Hack there is an artist sketch from 1839 or 1840 showing the pyramid tent in a camp and common since say's it wasn't new, so you might want to rethink the sears robuck cataloge idea.

Halfstock

If your actually interested, the sketch is by William Fairholme titled camp scene , 1840 and was later made into an actual painting sometime in 1840 or 1841.

Halfstock

Back