• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a router?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know we've had some talk on using a router to cut the barrel channel on a stock blank but I was wondering if there are bits to cut the octagon channel or do we have to make them. I was also told that someone had made a hand plane that would cut the octagon flats. I normally cut the flats with a chisel and a file as per Mr. Alexander. I like the idea of the hand plane with different sized cutting blades. I'm just looking at alternatives. Thanks guys
Trapper

If the blank is straight/square enough I will use a router to do the initial cut for a barrel.. Normally I will take it to the maximum depth of the most narrow section of the barrel (swamped barrel). If its a straight Oct I will do the entire depth and the side flats.. Either way I normally go in with chisels and scrapers after that.

I'm just starting on a rebuild of a rifle I made 25-30 years ago. Just got the barrel close to inletted using Roy's method. I started out with saw and chisels per Alexander's method. Used the router to make sure side flats were straight and square. I'm just a beginner at this and by no means an expert. You experienced guys will be hearing more questions from me.

With a straight barrel you can use a 1/4" parallel routing bit for most barrels. The gunstock blank should be straight and have a square surface. Take a look into that thread and the pictures and you see how I do it. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/227860/tp/3/
I used a 90° triangle bit to do about 90 percent of the diagonal sides. I then scrape the rest. Just measure real close using a digital caliber and double measure.. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunline makes barrel bedding tool in octagon and round, like this: Bedding tools. I usually router the bulk of the channel out and then use these tools to take it down the rest of the way. Files and chisels to get the final fit.

C

CowboyCS said:
Gunline makes barrel bedding tool in octagon and round, like this: Bedding tools. I usually router the bulk of the channel out and then use these tools to take it down the rest of the way. Files and chisels to get the final fit.

C

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see a 15/16" tool.

:confused:

HD

I did all sorts of searching and did not find very much in the way of octagon cutters. I made mine from mild and case hardened in Kasenit. I put it in a container and let it soak for about a half hour in a forge. Here a few pics of a forearm I am working and the cutter. I didn't use the cutter in a router but used a milling machine because I had access to it. I would guess if this was used in a router mutiple depth passes would have to be made.
2009_0103cva0012.jpg

2009_0103cva0013.jpg

2009_0103cva0011.jpg

This one will cut a 1-1/8" channel.
I am not a professional photographer just in case you can't tell. :surrender:

I sent out an e-mail yesterday in regards to a source for these router bits. Should I get a reply I'll post it.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Midway USA sells barrel bedding tools for octagon barrels. Go to the website and type in barrel bedding tools in the search bar. They're around 30 bucks.

Latest posts

Back