• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using more than the meat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mglampson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of us use more than the meat from our hunting successes, and what those uses are.

I will start with myself and you can add to the list of stuff. Please only what you personally have done.

Tanned one deer hide, chrome tanned used into a farriers apron.
Turned several into rawhide for knife sheaths.
Leg bones used for knife handles.
Antler used for knife handles.
Hooves for decoration/rattle.
Toe bones for necklace.

Not anywhere as accomplished as you. I have tanned one deer hide...very crude but it worked. I want to use some antlers for buttons but have a hard time cutting up even my spikes! lol

I've started pulling the finger joint for the dew claw. I'm told the injuns used to use these for needles/awls. Works pretty good as a toothpick for me.

Briefly, how do you make rawhide?

I have tanned 2 Deer hides and used the leather for a bunch of things. I plan on doing another next year and making a rifle case, for field use. I have seen them and think they would work great for poor weather hunting.

In addition to the above uses the rendered tallow when cut with a little olive oil makes an excellent boot dressing/leather water proofing.

Might make good patch lube too but have not tried it yet.

Cut open the skull and used the brains to brain tan the hide.

cut out the leg sinew and use to back bows, wrap arrows, and knives.

Tried melting the hooves to make glue, nasty, not gonna do that again.

Oh yeh, one time cleaned out the large intestine inside and out and wrapped a sinew backed bow in it. Seemed Indians use to do this to protect the sinew. Another, not gonna do that again.

FVR said:
Oh yeh, one time cleaned out the large intestine inside and out and wrapped a sinew backed bow in it. Seemed Indians use to do this to protect the sinew. Another, not gonna do that again.

thought ya were gonna say ya made sausage :rotf:....made a neck knife last month with one of the tines....

neckknife003.jpg

neckknife001.jpg

and with my next deer bone handle knife and a tanned hide :v .................bob

Tanned some deerhides for buckskin, left some in rawhide state for floor mats & tanned one with hair on for laying over seats, etc.

Antlers for knife handles, powder measures, bottons and various decorations. Made one pipe out of a big brow tine.

Save hooves on occasion for use as rattles and decorations.

Sometimes save sinew and give it away at rendezvous.
Used leg bones for a knife handle or two.

hooves as gun racks,hooves as bow racks' hooves as lamp bases, anters for lamps,tails for bucktail jigs(for walleye and bass) :hatsoff:

I took a page out of the lives of Alaska natives. I always carry a folded sheet of waxed paper when deer hunting.

When you gut the deer pull that fine network of fat off the paunch and lay it over a bush to cool and firm while you finish dressing the deer. Lift it off and lay it on the opened wax paper, then roll or fold it for the trip home.

The natives call it "lace" and wrap it around roasts for cooking like we do bacon on meatloaf or roasts. Sweeter than butter!

Kidneys for steak and kidney pie, tongue is steamed, sliced thin and used in sandwiches.

Bones and trim are simmered in a large pot with vegetable trimmings till the meat falls off. White bones go to the dogs for snacks. Collected meat and broth are canned in pint jars for winter dogfood supplement. The dogs will hardly eat dry food without it now. Never tried the bones for handles and such, but I'd have to fight the dogs first.

All fat I can salvage is rendered. Used with beeswax for lubing cast conicals.

Hides are tanned hair-on or hair-off, depending. Hair-on gets used at my fly tying bench.

Horns are hacked for trim and projects.

Have used antlers for knife handles and for powder measures. Try to start tanning now, but don't really know how it will work.

What tanning supplies do I use:
For buckskin: Eggs and mayo (1 dozen mixed with a quart jar of mayo)
Fur on: I just usually get a small tanning kit from Vandykes, etc.
Nothing fancy.....

GrizzlyBear said:
Briefly, how do you make rawhide?

Rawhide is real easy. I soak the hide in a solution of slaked lime (hot) and water. After a few days the hair slips and can be scraped off with a dull knife. Turn hide over and scrap off and fat or meat. Clean both side as clean as you can get em. When done I just tack it flat to a wall (garage or barn) so it can dry slowly in the shade. Once dry and stiff, use as is or roll it up and store it in a dry place, will keep just about forever. It can be rehydrated anytime and tanned if you want.

There are many "waste" parts of animals trappers can use for bait. A useful visual lure for trapping bobcats are grouse wings. Just tack them down so they dry in the extended position. Hang them from a branch near a cubby to get a bobcats attention. Don't know if this is legal in all states, so check your regs.

I give the leg bones to my Mom and Dad. They roast them in the oven until they're brown, then boil them for the stock. I use the stock to make gravy, or chili, etc.
I've rendered the fat to use for lube, tanned hides, and made a European skull mount out of an 8 pointer.

-SHOOEY!

Rawhide is real easy. I soak the hide in a solution of slaked lime (hot) and water. After a few days the hair slips and can be scraped off with a dull knife. Turn hide over and scrap off and fat or meat. Clean both side as clean as you can get em. When done I just tack it flat to a wall (garage or barn) so it can dry slowly in the shade. Once dry and stiff, use as is or roll it up and store it in a dry place, will keep just about forever. It can be rehydrated anytime and tanned if you want.[/quote]

So do you make stuff out of hide that is just raw like that? I can do that! I am really interested in using more stuff. I would like to make powder measures out of the antlers, use the hide for stuff, and figure out a use for the bone.

Back