• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using shot with T/C .56

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time, lean gun inside door, run out in clogs, mini-skirt or as bare as the day you were born and wring it's friggin' neck. Don't ask why I give this sage advise!! :thumbsup: :haha:

MSW said:
Britsmoothy said:
azmntman said:
dogs not legal here cept for bunnies, tree rats n birds!

Oh sorry....I thought turkey's are birds :idunno:

B :haha:

no ... birds are what the government says are birds, and only when they are assigned 'bird' designation by the appropriate government department - this would usually be the Office of Status Assignment, but not in all cases. We are not privy to the exceptions, of course, nor are we allowed to question the adequacy or efficacy of any designation of any avian, now or in the future. Such designations are not subject to review, except when so determined by the Supervisory Office of Status Assignment, the schedule and composition of which is not public information.

We can neither confirm or deny the 'bird' status of any avian, but you will know if you have harassed, wrongfully taken or otherwise killed or harmed a 'bird,' because the nice officer will tell you all about the 'rights' which you may or may not have as he or she fits you with the metal bracelets with one link in the middle.

so: birds are not birds, unless those in power say so...

whenever I see a car pass by with 'senate' or 'house of representatives' license tags, I wave in an expression of my complete disgust and distain. you should wave, too, but don't use all of your fingers.

OK - i'll climb off my soap box now before I fall and get hurt ..

:rotf: its still a bird brother!
How come we on this overpopulated crumby island dont have all this rugulation and the place is crawling with critters?
Yesterday I was out for four and half hours and saw a dozen rabbits, twenty or more pheasants, a few sqirrels and a fox!
This is America your talking from? The land of the free :haha:

I use 90gr FFG Goex and 100gr of #5 in my 56 TC,the shot is rolled up in 3 sheets of newspaper twisted and tied in the back and just folded over on the top,2 over shot cards over the powder one or none over the shot cartridge.Good pattern and penetration to about 30 yrds BTW all my turkey over the years have been killed with #5's both inML and cartridge guns

I went out this weekend and shot my candle cartridges made with parrafin wax. Some made with #5 shot....some with regular BB's.
Shot at 20 yards....used 80 gr of powder....80 gr of shhot. Both patterned at about 2 feet wide. The #5 shot came apart pretty well although some of it didn't and hit as one piece. Pellets hit high and right with zero in 2" bulls eye. (could have been shooter!) :doh:
The BB's did a little better...of the 60 BB's, about 35 came apart with 6 hitting the bull. The remainder stayed together and hit a little to the right. All shot blasted through 1/2 " plyboard with ease.

kendrolet said:
First of all I want to apologize for asking such a basic question that I'm sure all you regular shooters already know. I'm trying to learn. :wink: I just got a 10 lb bag of #5 shot. My T/C book says to load 7/8 oz of #6 Of course.They said put that over 80 grains of powder. I can do the powder thing....but how the heck do I get any kind of oz.'s? :idunno: I read something about re-setting the powder measure to 60gr????? Can someone recommend a shot and powder ratio with #5 shot? AND tell me how the heck to measure it? :doh: You folks are really awesome and I love reading all your info!
Thanks!!!!!!
With respects to T/C this book is best used for wadding, use it for a starter reference only.
As every gun behaves differently and each size shot will preform a bit differently the best rule of thumb is to use an equal volume of shot to powder, possibly going a bit heaver on the shot side with finer shot.
Personally I believe 80gr. to be a bit stout as most of these I have encountered preform best with a powder charge in the 50 to 60gr. of 3f range with terrific downrange power and tight pattern up to 60yd.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Just became the proud owner of a new .56 Renegade. Am lookin to use it on upland game and turkeys next year after a lot of load development. Gonna use the 32RB this year. Would be very interested in maxing out it's potential as a turkey gun. Range looks to be about 20 yds which is OK but would like shot, powder, wad combinations for the big bird - JJ32.

Guess my preceding post was redundant. I'll try working around your starting point - but 30 yds reliably? JJ32

Latest posts

Back