• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using small pistol primers on Rem 1858 revolvers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty interesting. Seems like a good alternative in a pinch. You could probably turn down a set of nipples to use with the open tops too. I love it when people come up with stuff like this.
Robby

caps have been hard to find and this will absolutly be on my radar in the future if I can't find caps.

Y'know, caps are NOT really that hard to find. If you are having trouble finding them, then you aren't looking hard enough. I just found 500 Winchester #11 Magnum caps, a flask full of 3f Old Eynsford and a brass in-line capper with three # 10 caps in it... so I guess none of you thought to break into my house and dig through my attic... for which I thank you kindly! ;)

Seriously, while I applaud this adapting methodology, it's still just another substitute, no different in principal from the plastic toy caps or the home-made caps that use roll caps. They aren't as convenient and probably not as reliable as actual percussion caps. There ARE actually #11 caps out there in the supply chain. I see them on hooks in stores every time I visit. I still have more than a thousand at home so I haven't been buying them so others can get 'em, but they are there... and I live in "fly over country", so they gotta be available in other places as well.

The best way to play this game is to keep enough caps on hand to last a year in anticipation of shortages, arrange them such that you have a FIFO (First In First Out) inventory system and add more as you deplete your supply. The same goes for black powder, flints and foodstuffs you have in the freezer on on pantry shelves, for that matter.

Throwing stuff randomly in boxes in the attic is not a good system... and I am as guilty as the worst of you for using the "hide it in the attic so I can't find it system". I'm pretty sure I STILL have another small flask of Old Eynsford up there someplace. ;)

we all live where we live. I have checked all the gun shops in my area and am on their call list for when the backorders come in. also had a terrible time finding caps on line. most of the sites that came up seemed like scams. cabellas doesn't seem to ship BP guns or caps. says store pick up only. I absolutely will keep this sm pistol primer hack on my radar if I ever get in a real bind. also thinking of getting a flintlock.

we all live where we live. I have checked all the gun shops in my area and am on their call list for when the backorders come in. also had a terrible time finding caps on line. most of the sites that came up seemed like scams. cabellas doesn't seem to ship BP guns or caps. says store pick up only. I absolutely will keep this sm pistol primer hack on my radar if I ever get in a real bind. also thinking of getting a flintlock.
Flints can be hard to find as well, though I think TOW has a pretty good supply. Wonder if anyone has tried to use ferro rods in liu of actual flint?

==> Youtube removed the video in original post (because it had alterations to revolver, maybe)?

Here is a longer video. This one tells how to do on medium size Colts (1851, 1860, 1861). The same thing works for Remmington 1858 except on Remys you don't have to file down the nipples shorter.

YT will probably remove this video too. I downloaded the video to hardrive using Easy Youtube Video Downloader with Firefox browser. It works with any YT video perfectly.

Title:
1851 Navy Colt Using Small Pistol primers & Making Your Own Percussion Caps Cap & Ball Black Powder

Channel:

J. Beau

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtScnt04oGg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back