• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Tarsal Glands For hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into a couple twin bucks one morning where I’d dressed out a doe the night before. Evidently the urin/gland smell trumped the blood smell. Unfortunately the deer around here know when I have an extra doe tag, and go visit distant relatives on those years, so I don’t have a lot of experience, but do use the glands when I can.

"Glad this topic was posted. I usually use Tink's Trails End. But, new this year, Connecticut has banned the use of any deer scent lure containing real deer urine. Have been thinking of giving tarsap gland a try."

What was the rational reasoning in passing that law? I can only imagine.
As SMO said, CWD.
Chronic Wasting Disease has been found in deer urine and appears to be a method of possible transmission of the disease within a herd. We don't have it here, yet, and don't want it.

I rarely agree with what our wildlife officials pass for rules and legislation. I think they did okay this year. This one doesn't seem unreasonable, they got rid of the noon cut off for hunting hours for spring turkey season and evened out the bag limits (privileged hunters with private land often have higher bag limits and depending on zone even get to hunt when the rest of us can't) between private an state land. They got rid of A and B seasons for shotgun season, rather than two roughly 10 day seasons which a hunter can only buy tags for one of, we now can hunt through the entire 3 weeks (except Sundays).

Connecticut hunters have enough problems just living in this state. It is a tough balance between earning enough money to live here and to hunt, and having time to hunt, some areas are still almost over run with deer while others (with more places to hunt) are watching deer numbers drop like a stone as fawn mortality rises. The last thing we need is CWD.

Cronic Wasting Disease , deadly to the deer population, attributed to use of scents and various other reasons.
In my State now, but not in my immediate area.

Sorry BN , I didn’t see your reply..

Years ago I switched to a cover scent my grandfather taught me. He was a blacksmith and trapper back in the late 20’s through to his enlistment into ww2, then again after his return. His favourite cover was an equal mixture of water and ammonia. I expect it was used more-so after the war when it became more common. Not sure on that though. I don’t buy into the bottling of pheromones thing.
Walk

"Glad this topic was posted. I usually use Tink's Trails End. But, new this year, Connecticut has banned the use of any deer scent lure containing real deer urine. Have been thinking of giving tarsap gland a try."

What was the rational reasoning in passing that law? I can only imagine.
CWD is why they banned urine products. NH has not yet done the same but recommended not to use urine products because the industry collects it from commercial herds that transmit the prions causing CWD.

A guy who hunted in the camp next to told us one evening that he dragged a 3x3 cotton patch with buck lure on it that morning.
As he was about to climb in his stand he turned around to a snort and a young 6 pointer headed his way in an urgent manner. He snapped off a couple rounds from the hip and managed to avoid the amorous assault.
He was pretty shook up and always had sheepish smirk when I would ask if he was going to use buck lure this season

Back