• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Windex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Someone told me very recently that while at the shooting range I could spray windex on the pistol cylinder after firing the pistol to get rid of black powder residue that make the cylinder hard to rotate. My questions are as follow; Does this actually work? If it works, does will it hurt the blued finish of the pistol?

Thanks for any answer.

works wonderfully, but make sure you get the stuff without ammonia(it attacks metals in a bad way!)

We have a similar product in the UK called 'Windowlene'. It works a treat on BP fouling provided you use the one that contains vinegar.

I used to just dip my revolver in the creek and shake off the fouling. Dry it off and go again.

The whole operation didn't take a coupla minutes.

The only downside is, creeks aren't man portable. :surrender:

Yes, it does work nicely, but you do have to make certain you get the kind with vinegar in it. This may be harder to find in some regions. You can cut it down with water quite a bit, say 3 or 4 to 1. I also use it in my BPCR guns and brass.

I usually just use wonder lube on the cylinder pin a very heavy coat. I can fire several cylinders and see no appreciable binding, course I use trip 7 instead of Black Powder.

Logan,

On a similar note, a fellow in our blackpowder group carries a small bottle with 409 cleaner in his range box. He uses that for cleanup like you are describing as well as for cleaning his weapons at the end of the day.

I have tried it and found that it really works well. So 409 is a second option for you if you choose.

Kevin

I have been using window cleaner mixed with Murphy's oil to wet patch between shots with my rifle. Works great in my opinion and cheap too.

many a time I've used windsheild washere fluid in a spray bottle to wet down my revolvers with. does good, then I scrub it while using more and then spray hot water to flush all. then dry and lube. the alcohol (winter mix has higher%) and soap and ammonia clean up BP residue quickly. carry an old toothbrush in yer cleaning kit. does great scrubbing the nipple area and in the frame insides. dry well by the fire and then lightly lube.

409 or Windex work pretty well cleaning up BP residue. I also use them interchangeably for patch lube (except when hunting).

when getting started the owner of the " powder horn" was emphatic! take three shots then run a patch with 409 then a dry patch...repeat.
it works VERY well :thumbsup:

Back