• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Various balls for deer ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhills

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the three types of balls I have for my 20 ga. Pedersoli double gun. To put myself in context, I'm resurrecting this gun after storing it for a few years. I'm a little fuzzy about get back into the muzzleloading business. On advice in this forum, I developed a pretty good pattern for #4 shot for the spring turkey season after a little tinkering with wads, etc.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/jef...9838ed1/view#02946314b9be4bbc9b4b7959ce9159ba

So here I am now at the brink of the Vermont muzzleloading season looking for the right load for deer browsing in my pumpkin patch - probably a 30-35 yard shot.

The cloth-wrapped balls are a nice fit at the muzzle right barrel and a slightly looser fit at the muzzle of the left barrel. The shiny medium sized balls are .375 diameter made by Gussert Bullet and Cartridge. The smaller balls are buckshot, I guess. I have a can of FFg powder.

So could you please advise on which balls to use? What kind of powder load and wadding for each kind of ball? Do I need grease or oil on the wrapped balls?

If I get one I'll give you a couple of loin chops.

Many thanks.
Jeff Hills
Dorset, VT

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean .575??

My Pedersoli shoots just the left barrel for ball. That tube just seems to do it! I treat mine as a combination gun.

Maybe this could be considered by you!

Brits.

First - check your state game laws. In NY multiple balls are not legal for deer.

Second - at .62" or thereabouts the one that gets there accurately will poke enough sunlight into a deer's chest to be effictive at any sensible range (which, personally, I would call at 60 yards with a smoothbore). Keep 65 to 70 gr FFg behind a few and see which make the smallest groups on a target.

Would you apply a lube to the balls I wrapped? (I think it was cotton t-shirt fabric.)

First check your state regs about the buckshot before using it on deer. If it's legal take the time to shoot some and do some pattern testing.

I can't get your pic to come up so can't see the "medium sized balls" but it doesn't sound good...

Use the balls that fit snug in the barrel. Go out and buy some ticking or cotton drill and DO use lube on the patch. Or just buy some pre-lubed pre-cut patches and use those. Again, be sure to test fire for point of impact before using on game.

Back