• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vendor experiences?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. My assessment was similar (silly, cool). Not sure I would ever fire it, but it will look good in he display case with the wheel lock.

I make and sell longbows. Most orders come from my website, and customers pay with a credit card. I normally don't charge the card until the order ships. However; this past year, the number of credit cards being declined has rose from 1 in 100, to about 1 in 5. It's counter productive in busy times, to get an order for a special bow or arrows ready to ship, and then have the customer's card declined. At the very least, I have to waste time calling and emailing to get it straightened out. Many times, the customer never answers back, and the order gets cancelled.

I'm sure the muzzle loader vendors have the same problems. I always assume my card will be charged as soon as I submit the order. I make sure I have the money if it is a debit card.

You're a good man. In my opinion, Made to order is entirely different than simple retail. I would recommend a middle road. Charge a non-refundable deposit at time of order to cover your expense/time. The balance (gross margin) can be charged at time of shipping. If the card declines at the first point, you do not build. If declined at the second point, the buyer has reneged, you keep the deposit and the piece. You can still sell the piece at retail. Fair to all provided you post your terms and communicate to the buyer.

For the situation I originally posted, If the vendor had represented stock status AND terms indicating pay in advance even if out-of-stock, then I would have made an informed decision and it is on my head if I took the risk. My objection was the combination of false representation of stock, and the practice where the vendor charges first, and determines stock later.

Full disclosure - Middlesex has been very prompt with polite communication both at the initial notice and this latest development. If they meet the latest commitment, I will write this all off as an irritation. For others, understand that stock status for Middlesex is not accurate, and that you do want to manually check stock and possibly order manually to avoid my experience. Otherwise, be prepared for immediate charge and indefinite wait.

Loyalist Dave said:
I don't know why it's so difficult to make a phone call or to send an email asking if an item is in stock, and if it isn't then don't buy it until it is... even asking them to notify you when it is available. If you don't get a reply then don't buy.

It always amuses me when folks get torqued about a back order when they know an item is imported.
There are several American companies that I don't order from unless the item is in stock, and even a couple rifle builders who I will buy from ONLY IF the rifle is done. No special orders.

I backorder NOTHING.

LD
Uuuummmm, even with modern stores, utilizing JIT, I've called about items and been told they are in stock only to find they're out when I arrive. I've also called and been told an item is out of stock, my wife call back an hour latter and have a different person affirm said item(s) were in stock.
So calling/email doesn't always work either.

Through the years, the only items I put on backorder are Rice bbls and am quite satisfied w/ their projected delivery dates. Of course, I order far in advance of starting a build.

A lot of the "service problems" are caused by back ordering and then giving unrealistic or optimistic delivery dates when the vendor's supplier doesn't even know when the items will be produced.

Planning future builds and procuring the parts shouldn't be a "spur of the moment" event....even if our " modern mindset" urges us to do so......Fred

Closing the loop...
Today, I received the pistol from MVT. Quality is OK, but the inside of the trigger guard is corroded. Also the match sent is a joke, $4 well spent for a piece of cloths line... :doh: Will keep the pistol, as I have no confidence in a timely exchange/refund. Never any offer of anything to compensate for four months of hassle :shake:

Between my last post and this (Jan 11?), I initiated several email exchanges all of the nature -
Any update? (very polite and respectful)
Will be a few days (prompt and polite, but some excuse)
Two weeks pass until the next attempt to gain an update
Rinse and repeat

Oh, and another successful and satisfied purchase with Loyalist Arms in the interim. Really fast receipt considering international shipping.

Never say never, but I am unlikely to purchase from MVT. If
you choose to, call them to check stock, and do not order unless availability is confirmed. And then, be prepared for excuses and delays.

Moor;
All slowmatch is pretty-much clothesline. Relax. As long as it stays lit and doesn't sputter, go with it. I am PRESUMING it is not the thin stuff (Dixie sells that I think and it works too).

Interestingly, the more historic non-cotton cord frays much faster.

On a separate but related note, MVT is now AUCTIONING their guns on a broker site where they do not disclose they are Made in India. They said they "don't understand" when I asked them why not! They have certainly become creeps second only to "seconds-selling" Discriminating General/Military Heritage IMO.

Here's my hard-luck story----I ordered from a vendor several small items, and a more expensive bayonet. Waited, waited some more (this was pre-email days, at least for me), finally I called. After several calls, trying to reach someone who knew what was going on, they finally told me the bayonet was out of stock, and they weren't getting any more. Ok, I told them, send me the rest of the stuff, which is in stock. Sorry, they say, we have a $50 minimum order, and you don't qualify now. I asked them ---politely---when and if they were ever going to let me know about this, or were they just going to keep my money? After another long wait, I did get a refund, but I've never done business with them again. I know I couldn't run my business that way.

Rod

Rod L said:
Here's my hard-luck story----I ordered from a vendor several small items, and a more expensive bayonet. Waited, waited some more (this was pre-email days, at least for me), finally I called. After several calls, trying to reach someone who knew what was going on, they finally told me the bayonet was out of stock, and they weren't getting any more. Ok, I told them, send me the rest of the stuff, which is in stock. Sorry, they say, we have a $50 minimum order, and you don't qualify now. I asked them ---politely---when and if they were ever going to let me know about this, or were they just going to keep my money? After another long wait, I did get a refund, but I've never done business with them again. I know I couldn't run my business that way.

Rod

Who??? The wary need to know. :shocked2:

Yeah, it is perhaps 1/16th to 1/8th thick, with no rigidity. I'll find some 1/4-1/2 inch cloth to do the trick.

Back