• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

vent liner question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question on vent liners,I had some time to kill and was wondering what would happen if the hole in the vent liners were to large.
I have used the new improved vent liners by t/c ,that use allen key
I do have a couple of the older liners that need a slot screwdriver to install them.
O.K.here my question I redrill the inner side of the cone with a 3/32 bit, but did not go all the way threw.
I also redrill the outside (coned it ) to 9/64
Will this work or should I just redrilled with a 1/64 bit straight threw the vent liner :no:

I have a question on vent liners,I had some time to kill and was wondering what would happen if the hole in the vent liners were to large.
I have used the new improved vent liners by t/c ,that use allen key
I do have a couple of the older liners that need a slot screwdriver to install them.
O.K.here my question I redrill the inner side of the cone with a 3/32 bit, but did not go all the way threw.
I also redrill the outside (coned it ) to 9/64
Will this work or should I just redrilled with a 1/64 bit straight threw the vent liner :no:

I'm no authority on this, and it's not clear to me which drilling operations you've already done, which are pending, etc...so because I'm not sure of the current state of the liner, I'm reluctant to answer.

Also, in your closing comment, did you mean to say 5/64" instead of 1/64" ?

if there the 1/4 - 28 threads like the T/C i would go ahead and put one of there new ones in there....thats what i'm going to do with my lancaster....haven't had a problem since i got new ones fer my T/C over the olds ones....hope i helped...........bob

WHAT UP BOB SEE YOU CHANGE YOU USERNAME HOW THINGS GOING?
RB: I JUST HAD A COUPLE OF NEW VENT LINERS HAGING AROUND(OLD TYPE) WAS WONDERING TO OPEN THEM A LITTLE LIKE THE NEW ONES
5/64 ON THE INSIDE CONE AND 9/64 ON THE OUTSIDE ?
I HAVE READ WERE GUY USE 5/64 STRAIGHT THREW THE VENT LINER

Did the same thing with my Lancaster; had a vent liner in it and too many flashes in the pan. Drilled it just a tiny bit more and no more problems. Now, when I change liners on any of my flinters I open them up just a tad. Can't recall the size of the bit, but I keep it hanging on my workbench with a piece of tape, used only for vent liners. (box of bits, found one the same size as the original hole, moved up one size, maybe 5/64? :m2c:

Back