• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Picks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to super glue that piece of brass into the antler to secure it.

I make my picks out of soft clothes hanger wire. You can't get it to spark, no matter hat you use. I can cut off a length, heat one end up red hot, hammer it flat, then fold it, still red, into a loop, or heart, or just into an " S" shape to form a "handle" that can be tied to string, or leather strap and then to my bag, or bag strap.

I heat the middle, so that I can hammer the wire square. That then can be held in a vise, and the piece turned under heat to form those spirals. There is a purpose to the spirals, in that they give you something to grab onto with your thumb and fore finger, when you want to turn the pick inside the barrel.

The other end, after cooling the end I made into a handle, and the center that is now nicely spiraled, stretch out under heat, using a light hammer blow, to taper the end so that it not only fits inside my TH, but can span the diameter of the bore inside. I then lightly flatten two sides of the rounded "Point" to make a "paddle" that helps move powder away from the pick to expose more powder to the heat of my primer flame.

That last speeds ignition.

Finally, I heat the entire piece up to red hot, holding it with needle nose pliers, over a can of oil, and when its all red, I drop it into the oil to get a nice black coat on it, that is durable.

Blacksmiths took great pride into being able to hammer forge out items that were either complete as to sizing, or 99% complete, without resorting to the use of hand tools, like files, and saws, or abrasives. Time was money, and any smith who was good enough to make everything necessary with his hammer, and anvil made good money.

My first picks involved using both heat, hammer, and anvil, but then finished with using files. Now, I can generally do it all with the hammer and anvil. When I bother to make picks, I will makes as many as I have coat hanger stock on hand. They are easy items to sell. I never met a flintlock shooter who didn't want a spare pick or two if the price was right. :hatsoff: :hmm: :thumbsup: :grin:

Be sure to super glue that piece of brass into the antler to secure it

Paul, it is not glued. When I set it in force (small brass hammer) was required since I was putting a 1/16" rod into a 1/16" hole. When it bottomed I gave another whack. Since there is no stress on the wire in use I am confident it will remain forever and ever.

I made several by using blowgun darts. They were they right diameter and I just cut them to length. They're very springy steel.

hanshi
You ever hunt with your blowgun? Many years ago I killed a Bluejay with mine and thought I could hunt with it...so I shot a squirrel[dart went all the way thru him] but he got away so that ended the blowgun hunting.
Macon

I use the heavier copper electrical wire that I got from the scrap in some renovations in a building I was working in. The electricians were kind of amused when I explained why I wanted some, and it wasn't enough to affect their scrap-copper beer fund, so they gave me enough for a few dozen vent picks. Great stuff - easy to work, non-marring, non-sparking.

Regards,
Joel

Latest posts

Back