• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vermin!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Ringing out a 40 cal barrel today..
Out pop's a very curious wood chuck at 35 yards.
Bad move!...These over sized rats play havoc with the hunting shack.
35 grs.Graph's FFF.. .020 b/w ticking .395 hc rb..Hoppes lube.. drt.
IMG_24571.jpg

First Woody with the 40..Small bores are more fun!

Watt's...This barrel preferred..

gm 40 cal 32" 1-48 twist perc.

35 gr. Swiss FFF
.024 40 cotton duct patch..very tight load!
.395 hc rb
Hoppe's lube
cci 11 caps..
============================================

Shoots just ok with .020 b/w ticking
35 fff Goex
35 gr fff Graph's
50 gr ff Goex

This was my 3 rd trip to my range with this barrel.
Jury still out on this one....when it proves itself(all touching at 50) it will get converted to flint.

Small game=small bore!

makeumsmoke said:
Ringing out a 40 cal barrel today..
Out pop's a very curious wood chuck at 35 yards.
Bad move!...These over sized rats play havoc with the hunting shack.
35 grs.Graph's FFF.. .020 b/w ticking .395 hc rb..Hoppes lube.. drt.
First Woody with the 40..Small bores are more fun!
Good on ya.....and a great photo too!
:thumbsup:

Good Job.... I like hunting groundhogs. ..but coyotes in the last few years thinned them out almost gone here!

Good shot! his fur looks great, I would skin him out and make something with it. I also hear they are good eating.

jeffdrown said:
..heres one I mounted. Yes there great eating..really !!!

DSC06418.jpg

=================================================================

Great mount..Very unique.. :thumbsup:

Great pic, Dan! :thumbsup: We have marmots (rock chucks)out here. They're fun to sneak up on and shoot with pistols. Never thought about eating them tho. :hmm: GW

Okay- I'll take the bait...what does groundhog taste like? Beef? Chicken? I too have heard they are good eating.

..First....when skinning....get all glands free and clean off hog.(use a different knife or clean good. Then ..bread , season and fry in lard. Bake in oven covered on low heat till very tender... You'll all be fighting over it !

Grey Whiskers said:
Great pic, Dan! :thumbsup: We have marmots (rock chucks)out here. They're fun to sneak up on and shoot with pistols. Never thought about eating them tho. :hmm: GW
=========================================================
You mean those guns you shoot one handed with short barrels? :hmm:
Ever had one charge you? :blah:
Sure sounds like a good excuse to find a Dragoon or an old old army to me! :thumbsup:

par boil with onion and bay leaf slooooow barbque over coals mmmmmmmmmmmn :hatsoff:

It's funny the psychological impressions we sometimes form at an early age about different foods...I could no more eat woodchuck, possum, beaver, etc, any more than I could liver !!
:grin:

I am kind of on a jerky kick. Since I didn't get a deer this year, I miss my jerky and was thinking about using a groundhog for jerky.

MMMMM Liver good. 'Specially venison liver. Haven't tried groundhog yet but there's a bluegrass tune about eatin' 'em. :v

growing up with my grand parents in West Ky I can tell you that all the things you name plus some others we ate from time to time :confused:I do under stand though that some things seem really strange :grin: I guess the worst thing I've eaten was camel :doh: which was eaten while deployed once.seems like the more you chewed it the larger it got :shake: BTW beaver doesn't taste like chicken :stir:

Back