• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vermin!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Hawk....Took this barrel out again today....I found my happy load...
35 gr fff swiss
40 cotton duct .024 patch
.395 HC RB
Hoppe"s lube
#11 cci caps...

Stoned another one today at 32 yards...head shot( not picture-able) drt..

IMG_24611.jpg

makeumsmoke said:
Grey Whiskers said:
Great pic, Dan! :thumbsup: We have marmots (rock chucks)out here. They're fun to sneak up on and shoot with pistols. Never thought about eating them tho. :hmm: GW
=========================================================
You mean those guns you shoot one handed with short barrels? :hmm:
Ever had one charge you? :blah:
Sure sounds like a good excuse to find a Dragoon or an old old army to me! :thumbsup:
Many years ago I was walking along a little creek and plinking rusty cans with a .31 pocket revolver. All of a sudden this groundhog pops up in front of me (never have figured out why I was able to get that close) Now I am not much of a pistol shot, and the pocket revolver doesn’t see much use in competition, but this critter was so close it was almost impossible to miss.
I aimed at his head and pulled the trigger. He rolled around on the ground for about fifteen seconds or so and, I swear to God this is true, stood up on all fours and GROWLED at me. I think it was groundhog speak for “you rotten *^%$#. Then he took off running in the opposite direction.
Five grains of three and a pea sized ball must not be enough medicine for a whistle pig.

Dang! That's the kind of shooting I wish I could do. You have your load for real, now. :hatsoff:

Hanshi...4th time out with new barrel...I ran the gauntlet through it to get here..now it's time to send it off to get a flint breach installed.
please remember this is benched...

Here's my off hand shootin against dead eye Jethro. He has the same barrel and it shoots just like this one.....I got waxed!
Need to spend some time dry firing.

IMG_24621.jpg

Had to go with 1.5 " target dot(54 year old eyes)1" dot goes fuzzy
on me :surrender:
Front sight fits inside the dot. :grin:

======================================================

RJ.... It's amazing what these wood chucks can take....

Grey Whiskers said:
Great pic, Dan! :thumbsup: We have marmots (rock chucks)out here. They're fun to sneak up on and shoot with pistols. Never thought about eating them tho. :hmm: GW
=========================
Hey Lon..spent the day at the shack-lake-marsh...shooting...
Missed 2 of the biggest wood chucks I've seen with the trapper 50 cal flint pistol.. :idunno:
They didn't charge me after the shot but I could swore I heard some snikering... :redface:
One beat the flint ignition into it's hole.. :surrender:
Your right it's a blast.

makeumsmoke said:
Grey Whiskers said:
=========================
Hey Lon..spent the day at the shack-lake-marsh...shooting...
Missed 2 of the biggest wood chucks I've seen with the trapper 50 cal flint pistol.. :idunno:
They didn't charge me after the shot but I could swore I heard some snikering... :redface:
One beat the flint ignition into it's hole.. :surrender:
Your right it's a blast.

Good for you! Even a miss is fun. :thumbsup: At least you used a ML. I've only popped em with a .22 revolver.

The thought of eatin them turns my stomach tho. :barf:

GW

They are on my least favorite list to eat right behind red beets and Lima beans.... :grin:

To each his own, more left for me... :grin: btw, I love beets too...

[b]Woodchuck Pie [/b]

1 woodchuck, skinned and cleaned
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup green pepper
1/2 tbsp minced parsley
1 tbsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 1/2 tbsp. flour
3 cups broth

Biscuits:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. fat
1/4 cup milk

Cut woodchuck into 2 or 3 pieces. Parboil for 1 hour. Remove meat from bones in large pieces. Add onion, green pepper, parsley, salt, pepper, and flour to the broth and srit until it thickens. If the broth does not measure 3 cups, add water. Add the meat to the broth mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour into baking dish.

For biscuits: sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in the fat and add the liquid. Stir until the dry ingredients are moist. Roll only enough to make it fit the dish. Place dough on top of meat, put in a hot oven (400 degrees F.) and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until dough is browned.

Upgraded my Vermin Rifle....
Latest Chunky Chuck
30 yards 36 cal
35gr fff-goex .024
40 cotton duct patch
.350 rb 000 Hornady buckshot!
Hoppe's lube
FFFF-goex prime.

DRT!

Educated him twice in the last month at 60 yards...
until I refined the sights :thumbsup:

IMG_25652.jpg

:haha: Lady and me watch a young one every day that moved in the last bay of the barn out back. Ain't got the heart to shoot it. She sits and watches it at about 30 yards away. Taught her not to chase things. :thumbsup:

Swampy
They are fun to watch! Role-lee-pole-lee fur balls!
This one has been undermining the shack foundation and floor-slab...
Only take the guilty parties out.
The dry summer and heat has not affected this one's size.

I used to really enjoy shooting chucks on my granpas ranch he told me where I could shoot them and where to leave them alone. He was under the impression the were kinda like the mongoose in that they hated rattlers and would hunt them down. Not sure if that true or not but I noticed the years they were close to the ranch house there were no snakes and the yr my grandpa died and my dad shot them all by late summer snakes were everywhere.

Ah, the good times. Years back I chuck hunted with a friend and coworker on his father-in-law's farm. We went from scoped .270 Win (me) and L/A .308 WIN (Model 88 - cool rifle, him) to .223 (me) and .22 Win Mag (him) to .36 Seneca cap (me) and .45 Hawkin flint (him). I got a .32 Dixie Mt. Rifle and, when it went off, it was accurate and a great chuck gun.

Convinced me blackpowder was the way to go for hunting.

I had one run out of a copse of poke salat yesterday. Well, he tried to run, and you could tell he wanted to get back to his hole. He was either eating the fermented berries and was drunk, or the toxins in them got to him. Sure looked drunk, otherwise very healthy looking animal, pretty funny. I could have picked him up.
Robby

My lady had a hold on the ones around the homestead too....the first straw was when she watched one chew off the heads of her flowers...at that point I was tasked with building fences instead of chucking lead :cursing: ....the final straw was when I was away on a week long hunting trip and they dug out underneath the wood pile which collapsed onto the garbage cans, which she had to re-stack to get them out....when I got home there were 2 dead bodies over the rock wall (yup, the girl can shoot)...and a new "open season" law for the house..

Back