• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Volume of Drams? Any help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTheGreek

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK....I am stuck here in Egypt until August and have little access to black powder or a factory measurer. I am having a rifle made in the US and am thinking about having some craftsmen here make me a powder measurer (among other things) and need some help. Can anyone out there tell me the volume (in cubic inches and cubic millimeters) of a fixed number of grains or drams of 2F?

I have looked at the online conversion sites and they show a dram to cubic inches conversion but it is most certainly not going to work as it is expressing apothecarey measures.

Using that (undoubtedly wrong) formula I arrive at 10 drams equaling 2.2558 cubic inches and using PiR2H to find the cubic inch volume of a cylinder wind up with a 3/4 inch drill bit needing to bore 5.107" deep in order to hold 10 drams. Like I said, I am pretty sure this is not right and based on the wrong standard.

HELP!

Thanks in advance

Buffler Runner

According to the chart that came with my Lee dipper set FFg comes out as follows, (its in cubic centimeters):
0.5 CC 7.4 grains
1.0 CC 14.7 grains
2.5 CC 36.8 grains
4.0 CC 58.8 grains

Thanks Bill. I knew I couldn't trust that online conversion!

So, if my math is correct, ten drams would be 273.437 grains and fill 18.601 cc's or 1.13 cubic inches? So, a 19mm drill bit would bore out this volume of material at a depth of 6.56 cm or about 2.58 inches?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Best,

Buffler Runner

Buffler Runner: I hope I'm wrong but what kind of gun are you having made that needs 273grains of powder. I'm sure others would like to know to. We all hope it is some kind of Cannon because 10 drams of powder is enough load a 10ga. double with a very heavy load. Good luck on whatever you get made over there it will be unique I know just wish I had done something like that when I was in Turkey but did'nt have the interest or knowledge at the time.
Fox :thumbsup:

Actually 10 drams would be getting near the maximum load for an 8 bore gun. I think it was also one of the measurements that the British Proof House used on BP guns in the 19th century.

Whatever it's for, it's going to make lots of noise, fire, and smoke, that's for certain!

Perhaps, we are being too inquisitive about the intended recipient of such a humongous volume of Black Powder...?

If we are not being discreet enough, please tell us so, and we shan't bother you about it again.

Hope whatever you shoot, that requires that big a gun, doesn't have a twin brother coming up behind you!

Regards, and Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :front:

Sounds right. One dram = 27.35 grains by weight. No idea for volume. Someone had a rule-of-thumb for something like 10 grains of blackpoader for every 1/2" of a certain size drill (which escapes me at the moment). I'll see if I can find that post.

"When drilling a cylindrical receptacle for measuring the powder, whether it be adjustable or fixed, using a drill of 29/64ths (.453") in diameter, every quarter-inch (.250") will render exactly 10 gr-wgt by volume."

From a post by Crackstock. Unfortunately, your 10 drams would be a 7" x .25" hole. But, with the diameter you can now figure out a volume equivalent. (It's too late at night on a Friday for my brain).

All,

Thanks so much for the help guys. The rifle is going to be an 8-bore from Jim Gefroh in Colorado and should be done by January. I was thinking about having some guys here make some neat accesories for it out of ebony...powder measurer, turnscrews, tinder box etc. It is my impression that 10 drams is the standard load for this calibre whether a front or breech loader. While the immediate goal for the rifle is Bison in Canada again, the ultimate goal is a return to Africa with Buffalo or cow Elephant on the menu. I will keep the board updated as to my progess on all fronts.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Back