• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wal-Mart Pillow Ticking - What are Different Kinds Like?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've lately gotten some Wal-Mart pillow ticking for patched round ball use. Now, here's the key problem: I don't have access to a micrometer. Just from the feel of it, it seems pretty thick--indeed, by comparison to some .015 patches bought from the muzzleloading rack at the nearby shooting-goods store, I'd say it's significantly thicker--but I could just be off on my estimation.

What thickness is that Wal-Mart ticking? It looks to me like there are four (4) kinds available at the local Wal-Mart. First two look like the pillow-ticking patches you usually see--alternating stripes of white and blue (or, in the second variety, white and red). There is a third kind of cloth they also call "pillow ticking" that is much the same as the other varieties, but is sort of a natural cotton color, without much or any visible dyeing or bleaching. This "natural-colored" stuff seems about as thick as the first two kinds. The fourth kind feels thinner, and costs a buck or two more per yard; it's smoother, and I think the color is white.

All four say they're 100% cotton. Are they all good to use? I imagine that I'll find the thicker varieties a bit hard to use as patching material, considering their thickness relative to the .015 patches I have. Advice? (First trip to the range with the newly-acquired, new-in-box flintlock is yet in the future, hence my lack of experience from which to draw. I really, really don't want to get a ball stuck halfway down the barrel before I can test-fire the thing the first time.

Thanks!

P.S.: Those of you who ordinarily use pillow ticking and the cut-at-the-muzzle method, how do you usually carry the ticking with you? Strip attached to shooting bag? (If so, how wide do you find works best?) Roll of it inside patchbox? Other?)

I was thinking the same thing just a week ago when I rolled home with the blue-striped ticking. How am I ever going to get this down?! This persisted until I just HAD to try starting a ball in my livingroom without a charge beneath it (and removing it with a pliers before the Missus saw). I was terrified of looking like a complete boob in front of everyone at the range while I flailed at trying to stuff 'em down. :haha: Well, with both hands and a good shove, I was able to start them. Ramming them home was far less difficult. They certainly seem thick, but they seem to work very well. :v (used with 0.490 RB in my .50cal perc lock)

Most of the pillow ticking that I've bought at Walmart is .018 thick.

I always wash mine after I buy it. Takes the sizing out of it and seems to soak up the lube better.

I keep a small roll in my patchbox and a square (maybe 8"x8") in my shooting bag. I normally use the square to wipe my rifle down when I'm done hunting but sometimes I cut patches out of it.

I carry a loading block so I rarely need to get to my ticking fast.

If, for some reason, I did want to get at it fast...I'd cut a slit in one end and hang it off of a button on my coat.

I'd say I cut my strips about an inch and half wide.

Hope this helps.

I use the one that is the Natural Cotton color. The end of the bolt said it was White on White. It is .018/.020 thick. It seems to be about the same as the Blue on White that I had before. I just bought it to be different. I haven't seen the other white ticking that is thinner than the others.

It is a tight load but it is what my 1 in 48" shallow grooved T/C Hawken likes.

Robert

Comus if you get the striped ticken you can tear it in strips about 4 1/2 to 5 stripes wide and they should be about right for a .50 cal rifle. Another way is make it just wide enough to fit in a 35MM film container. I get a yard at a time in a strip and load it in the film can then put Moose Milk on it and am ready to go.
Fox :hatsoff:

I have two chunks of the blue and white stuff one is .018 and one is .012 I do not know if it is wal-mart or Joanns.

the blue ticking i got from them mic'ed at .017" - .018" after washing :v .............bob

tg said:
I have two chunks of the blue and white stuff one is .018 and one is .012 I do not know if it is wal-mart or Joanns.

Do both thicknesses work well? Any problem with the thinner stuff getting torn / burnt through on firing?

I am not sure of the thickness of my wal mart pillow ticking. But I get blown out patches in my n/w trade gun smoothbore, with .600 round balls. Others here suggest I need an over powder card. Seems to work ok in my t/c .50 flintock hawken however.

I really don't think there is any way around it, you really need to buy a mic or venier. Consistance is what makes for accurate shooting and there just is now way without doing the same with your patching.

Living in a Red state, I passed on the blue tickin', the red seems to work just as well. :grin: 0.018" is what I came up with when I miked it.
If there's any visible difference, the tighter weave would be preferable, in the same thickness. :wink:

i stopped at an Amish fabric store and asked where was pillow ticking,,,,,they said they never heard of it,,,what is it??? :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: they are really getting modernized around here... :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

Walmart has a blue denim that runs about .014 to .015. They have a red&whit, blue&white, and a tan
pillow tick that runs .018. They have a heavy cotton drill Duck cloth that runs .023 in the blue. They have 3 sizes in the duck cloth.

Joanns has a very good 40 drill cotton tan in color. This is tough stuff and runs about .015. Getting the right patch is very important. I shoot a .023 in my Rice barrel with a .530 patch and Hoppie's Black Powder Plus. :thumbsup:

rubincam said:
i stopped at an Amish fabric store and asked where was pillow ticking,,,,,they said they never heard of it,,,what is it??? :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: they are really getting modernized around here... :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:
It's a 100 percent cotton material that is often used to make pillows and mattresses.
As cloth goes, it feels quite heavy because it is thick and tightly woven.

If you go back to the store, just tell them you want the kind of material they would use to make a pillow (not a pillow case or cover).

As long as you get 100 percent cotton you will be on the right track. If there is any man made stuff like polyester, rayon or nylon in it it will burn thru and coat the insides of your barrel with melted plastic that is hard to clean out and will ruin accuracy.

zonie :)

"Do both thicknesses work well? Any problem with the thinner stuff getting torn / burnt through on firing'

I have had no problem with burn thru the powder load may determine this.i shoot smoothbors only now so thet are more forgiving with out the rifling, I have used the thin patching in rifles and it did not burn or tear but i do not shoot heavy loads.

I have been using Wal-Mart red striped pillow ticking, for about two years. I wash it before pre cutting my patches. I have used it in my .45, .50, and .54 Thompson Center, and Lyman muzzleloaders. It mics at about .018". No problems loading, and good accuracy. I use Hoppes #9 Plus Black Powder Solvent And patch Lube, or Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000, as my patch lube.

Regarding rolled ticking strips and cutting at the barrel... Listen to the guys on here who dissuade the use of pre-lubed ticking rolls and advocate sucking on the tail of the roll for a "spit lube." I found the pre-lubed rolls a mess with cutting at the barrel--everything got all greasy and dirty (using Bore Butter).

By my way of micking the red & white and the dark
blue(almost black)& white from Wal Mart are .015,
they also have some pale blue and white with wider spacing between the stripes that is .013.
some of my guns load easy with the .015 and some don't. The .013 works well in all my guns. I just bought a whole roll (12 yards) of the .013
so I'm set for a while.
I just cut a strip and stick one end in my mouth
and let the other in hang loose.

Yep always have used the "spit lube". A lot of the old timers at Friendship did the same thing.

I just picked up some pillow ticking from Wal-Mart . The plain color and the white and blue stripes both mic out to .015 to me.

Latest posts

Back