• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut finish problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first time trying to finish a walnut stock following Dave Person’s method using Polymerized Tung Oil. As I expected, it’s not turning out nearly as good as his examples. Imagine that:)
I’ve included some pictures of what is going on. I made a slurry with sand paper and finish, let dry, sanded, cleaned the stock and am now on my second coat of finish. I ruffed up the finish between coats and let them dry. Now I am seeing dull spots in some of the pours.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.
Duane

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    247.6 KB
  • IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    382.8 KB
  • IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    511.1 KB
I would just blend in the "rough spots" very lightly with #0000 steel wool, then make sure to get all the steel wool dust off (brush, blow, wipe with tack rag or wipe with solvent) and then repeat your same process. You are putting it on really, really, thin, no? You can add a little solvent to that tung oil if it's too thick.

I think you're coming along OK. Don't be in a hurry to be done. Most of the time it's a case of seeing what the last step did before you decide what to do next.

I'm working on refinishing a stock right now that I've changed directions three times already and I'm still not done.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I’m putting it on thin, maybe not really, really thin:) I’ll let it dry a few more days then hit it with grey scotch brite. I’m leery of using steel wool.
Some of the rays and pores don’t seem to have filled up. Will subsequent coats of finish fill them?

Patience is something I am still learning:)

Keep going with applying your finish and drying time in between coats. Use the abrasive that you feel confident with (I like using 4/0 steel wool and a tack rag). and lightly knock your finish back before adding other layers of finish. You may need to do 10 to 15 or more coats before you get to where you like it. Don't be in a hurry this is not a race! My last two coats I let dry for about a week before I rub back the last coats with rottenstone then a coat of good paste wax.

This is my first time trying to finish a walnut stock following Dave Person’s method using Polymerized Tung Oil. As I expected, it’s not turning out nearly as good as his examples. Imagine that:)
I’ve included some pictures of what is going on. I made a slurry with sand paper and finish, let dry, sanded, cleaned the stock and am now on my second coat of finish. I ruffed up the finish between coats and let them dry. Now I am seeing dull spots in some of the pours.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.
Duane
Use 0000 steel wool between coats and make sure each coat drys. Use very thin coats. Do this until you get the finish you are looking for. If you have spots you need to remove all the finish where there are spots and do over. Make sure it is in the wood and use walnut stain sparingly on the spots before you start over. I don't like to get a lot of shine I prefer a matte finish.

The dull spots are where you didn’t wet sand the slurry well enough. Having done dozens of walnut stocks with this method I’m certain of this. When the slurry is sanded then wiped off hold the wood at a long angle and any dull area will be apparent. Rework these spots before applying any top coats to get a clean smooth finish. Adding multiple top coats to a stock that has the slurry that is only there to fill the pores results in a dull and blotchy looking stock.

The dull spots are where you didn’t wet sand the slurry well enough. Having done dozens of walnut stocks with this method I’m certain of this. When the slurry is sanded then wiped off hold the wood at a long angle and any dull area will be apparent. Rework these spots before applying any top coats to get a clean smooth finish. Adding multiple top coats to a stock that has the slurry that is only there to fill the pores results in a dull and blotchy looking stock.
I have some Walnut from several sources and the difference is noticeable. One particular piece has a lot of light streaks in it. I turned a piece of some fine Walnut on my lathe and it was very slick needing very little sanding? What I am asking is could he have a piece of walnut like some I have?

Back