• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want a matchlock build or buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to have a matchlock musket. Should I build it or Buy it?

I have never built a gun but feel I could do it.

Or should I find a builder (if so who)?

Thanks
Paul

As trucker said, you really need to answer your first question before moving to the second. One possible answer to the second that many on here tend to recommend is John Buck, though there are others.

Alright I want to build one.

Can I get a little advice on where I look for parts and reference materials.

Thanks

Paul

John Buck might sell you a lock. Ed Rayl will make you a barrel. Googling matchlock muskets will give you some information. Auctions like Hermann Historica will have photos of matchlocks. This is a worthwhile project and worth a little research to get it right. Have fun.

I have plans for a lock.I did a little build along thing some time back in gunbuilding forum that may give a few ideas.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Ed Rayl will make you a barrel.

Do you have contact information on him. I can only find he is in WV.

I am nervous about the stock work. Does anyone make a stock for a matchlock?

This the address I have for him. Information should be able to give you the phone number.

W.E. Rayl Inc.
Otter Lane,
Gassaway, West Virginia.

It just dawned on me that Ben Coogle can make your barrel, too and he's a forum member! P.M. him for info.

I talked with John Buck and he will make me a stock and would sell me a lock. We spoke only briefly but he was very helpful.

By all accounts, John is great guy to do business with--in fact just a great guy in general! Glad you're on your way with this project. :thumbsup: Dan

Would you be willing to share the plans for the lock with me? I am not confident I could do it but would give it a try.

Back