• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Water Proofing material on Canvas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ97tim

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am making a Lean-to with Canvas cloth. What is the best Waterproofing method for the canvas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Canvak to waterproof canvas. Did a pretty good job.

There is an old timer method that involves dissolving parafin in gasoline and spraying it on the canvas. Makes the tent a great flaming wick if too close to the fire. Obviously there are many fire and fume hazards with such a method.

IF the tarp was mine, I would be REALLY sure that whatever I treated it with was certified as NON-flammable.
(Twenty plus years ago when I was a BSA employee, I saw the results of a flaming tent that collapsed on a SM & 4 kids. = Wasn't really "purty".)

yours, satx

yours, satx

They do sell spray on liquid fire retardant (but I can't remember where).
but by the time you water proof and fire proof it, a piece aof sunforger is probably cheaper.

There are linseed oil recipes on youtube that are supposed to be flame resistant.

I should tell you that I had a lodge made from 12 oz vivatex/sunforger, and it never leaked a drop nor molded or caught on fire. That stuff is worth every penny you pay for it.

TJ97tim,
For what it is worth, I made a 10x10 diamond out of some cotton sheet material from Joann's. I wanted a lightweight shelter that I could trek with. Anyway, I treated it with Nikwax for cotton to stay away from the stiffness and fire hazard of the traditional recipes. For two years now, it has kept me dry in several downpour weekends. As a matter of maintenance I plan to wash and retreat it in the spring.

I will add that the Nikwax stuff smells a lot like elmers glue. Someday I will do a test with some diluted elmers glue on scrap cotton.

Blessings, Bill

??? don't now if you were responding to me spence or just last poster posting, but I was'nt talking about using the nikwax but rather using the 7oz canvas for a tarp?

Last poster, Clyde, not specifically to you.

At the link, in the Health section, it says, DO NOT USE ON COTTON OR POLYCOTTON, and I just wondered what problems that created.

Spence

Spence,
There is a Nikwax made specifically for Cotton and that is what I used. I am happy with the results. IIRC they had a mixing ratio (with water) for tentage and a more diluted ratio for clothing. I mixed for tentage and soaked it in a bucket then hung outside to dry.

Blessings, Bill

Latest posts

Back