• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wax on powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Robertson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I'm almost finished with my first powder horn, and I was wondering if it's necessary to put a light coat of wax on to their powder horns after all of the scrimming and antiquing is done to protect the finish ?

I apply a good coat of wax to all my horns after I finish them and then about once a year. I heard some where that it helps to keep them from drying out and cracking. I figure that the time that I put into making them, why take the chance of them cracking down the road sometime. I plan on passing them to my son.

Living in wet country, I always wax them for general protection. Actually I "wax" them in two ways. Body gets a general waxing. I also put beeswax on the spout plug, then rotate the plug down into the spout. Gives a real tight seal, taking care of any scratches and irregularities that are likely to leak air, humidity or downright rain.

Not to steal the thread. But while on the subject of “Protect the finish on a horn.” Anybody out there ever hear of using Neat’s-foot Oil or Lemon Oil on a horn yearly. I’ve heard of guys using such and waxing. Does one use a Wax Remover to remove old Wax, then oil, wait, rub with cloth for luster, then re-wax. What’s a good Wax? (Johnson’s Paste Wax? Turtle Wax? Carnuba car wax? Pledge? Floor Wax?) What secret rituals are used to SAVE the essence of the powder horn for prosperity?.

I just use Johnson Paste wax. I use it once a year unless the horn is getting lots of use or if it say alot of rain.

Does one need to put wax around the base of the horn & if so do you pour it down inside of the horn or just apply it around the base prior to installation?

A good high quality paste wax and hand buff with a piece of old washed denum or cotton T-shirt will give you a nice satin sheen and weather protection. I like two or three coats!

smo - Just put an even amount of bee's wax on the interior edge of the horn and press the wood base in and secure with pegs or nails etc. I like to warm-up the base plug and rear of the horn first!

Rick

Back