• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wd-40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think of WD40 about the same as coca-cola and apple pie!
:redthumb:

He he he ! I will remember that the next time someone brings me a A5 or Beretta to repair that is jammed & won't cycle........ Everyone seems to want to use WD-40 on them....... WD-40, like coca-cola & Apple pie all in a can ! :crackup:

Same when you're a newbie with Remington 1100/1187's...you think you need to spray the action and gas system down with something after you've cleaned it...you only do that once and you quickly learn to leave it plain, bare, raw, dry metal...if it wears out in 50 years instead of 100 years, so be it!

Been usin 3in 1 since I was a kid (over 65 yrs of smokeless and BP shooting ) for cleaning, along with Hoppies #9 in the smokeless and HOT HOT water in the BP. No rust on any of my Arms. WD- 40 is great for electrical stuff, but if you let it sit on an object it forms a film but not a protective film. If it comes in contact with powder or primers it has a negative impact. The last can of WD-40 I obtained was floating down the creek where I was trout fishing. Someone must have pitched it . (it was near full) :m2c: :imo: :results:

I dunno...seems to me all I have read on all the postings about lubes..solvents..oils...Er, I wonder if we haven't all been somewhat overdoing the complexity of it all. Granted, I am far from being a guru on all of this BUT, thinking back to the fur trade days I kinda wonder how they managed to have a rifle that worked. I mean..they didn't have any WD40...no Wonder Lube, no this, no that. I can understand using spit...sort of natural I would think..but then what? Considering if one reads the journals kept by[url] them...rain[/url], snow, being without having a fire at night in order to keep thier hair...Seems we have it damm easy today. But back to the days of yesteryear...seems their rifles were dang accurate and also functioned quite well considering how they were maintained..or not maintained at times. So.....are we perhaps not overdoing things a bit? As someone else posted, so what if the thing needs a new barrel after 20 or what years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmmm Ballistol,,,,,,,Smells Good and Works good! :applause:

Mr. Halftail,
:what:
No disrespect intended for your sniffer but it might be broke. :peace:
Or perhaps our can is rancid? But then some people question my affinity for a fine single malt scotch. Go figure.
Whatever the reason for the diference of opinion, it is interesting to note your observation and experience. Makes the world go round.
Best Wishes

WD is great stuff, if your out of started fluid it can start a motor and is easier on em then the fluid,, diesel or gas,,
real nice for lawn mowers

Mmmmmm Ballistol,,,,,,,Smells Good and Works good! :applause:

I agree that your smeller is on the fritz---the only one that likes that smell is my cat---but, what does he know I don't????. There's definitely some iso-butyl alcohol in that mix---and that stuff smells horrendus. But, all that said Ballistol works like a charm---I keep it in large cans, use it on all my firearms---from Target pistols to Trap guns. :hatsoff:

I can't believe nobody mentioned that probably the best use of WD-40 is as a loosener. Who doesn't use it on a rusty part or bore?

Regards, sse

It's great for starting engines on those cold Wyoming
winter days. A little WD-40 in the air filter and
away we go.
As for use on nice fire arms no way. Use Ballistol
every time. It does have a bad oder, but it works
very well.

I can't believe nobody mentioned that probably the best use of WD-40 is as a loosener. Who doesn't use it on a rusty part or bore?

Regards, sse

I don't. I dispise the stuff & think it is the biggest ripoff since bottled water... IMHO, WD-40 is good for only what it was designed for, Water Displacement.

Ballistol........ great stuff & a good wife repellant. She comes nosing around your work area or gun room, spray a lil Ballistol at the doorway & repel her imediately ! :crackup:

Birddog6

I'm just going to restate what the Civil Aviation Authority says about WD40. "It must not be used on aircraft structure in any position. It has been proved to have caused cracking in high stress forgings ie helicopter rotor heads and had the obvious consequences. Use it in/on your gun at your own risk.

Whoa :shocking:
I can see if micro cracks were present any penetrating oil might do a wedging number by capillary action, making them prone to open more. Or was there a reaction with the particular alloy used in the castings?

I knew a guy who did strain gauge testing on helicopter blades - he refused to ride in them.

Maybe we're learning something after all with this debate? Maybe WD40 is bad from a structural integrity point of view - especially on twist steel?

Whoa :shocking:
I can see if micro cracks were present any penetrating oil might do a wedging number by capillary action, making them prone to open more. Or was there a reaction with the particular alloy used in the castings?

I knew a guy who did strain gauge testing on helicopter blades - he refused to ride in them.

Maybe we're learning something after all with this debate? Maybe WD40 is bad from a structural integrity point of view - especially on twist steel?

Now I'm worried...I've been using liberal amounts of WD40 on every firearm I've ever owned all my life...does this mean my guns are only going to last another 40-50 years instead of 100?
:: :crackup:

Dang Bill !! You are lucky to be aline now ! You better send them all to me & save yourself ! :crackup:

Howmany missfires you had the last couple of years? I have NEVER used WD around my guns and have NEVER hade a missfire ( dry loads don't count) in over 30yrs of BP shooting. Must be doing something right. :m2c:

Allegedly, this stuff caused intercrystaline problems which led to cracks and failures in high stress steel/aluminium forgeings.

I believe I've read that WD40 is never supposed to be used with electrical connections (especially in planes). Two posters have already stated that they use it as a starting fluid. Why anyone would want to use it around hot or potentially sparking electrical connections is beyond me. It may also lead to lessening the integrity and potential damage to circuitry, electrical connections and wires if the FAA is correct. I'm not just suggesting fire, but electrical system or component failure. (Actually no laughing matter) :crackup:

Hmmmm,
Mr.Halftail...That has a ring to it! ::
Seriously though it's one of those smells that I associate with Muzzleloading and like the smell of Black Powder ,it's got to be good. :front:

Howmany missfires you had the last couple of years? I have NEVER used WD around my guns and have NEVER hade a missfire ( dry loads don't count) in over 30yrs of BP shooting. Must be doing something right. :m2c:

I guess you're implying WD40 causes misfires...

As I said in my post, I use it to power flush my lock internals, and the exterior parts of the barrel after I'm done cleaning...and I blow/dry it all off with an air compressor.

I've never had a misfire due to WD40.

Back