• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD/40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some catfishermen who won't throw out bait without first squirting it with the stuff. Never tried it myself, and I usually catch just as many as they do, so.... :idunno: Bill

Thanks for the input guy's. It's alway's a pleasure to read others opinion's.

I think the formula has been changed since then.

WD-40 is a pure petroleum product created by manipulating the molecular structure of oil. Unlikely that structure has been messed with.
Some claim it once had 'carriers' in it. I dunno, seems the same to me as it did long ago.

Apparently you guys have had luck with it. I've never tried, because I always herd that the petroleum and black powder residue made a sludgy mess. :idunno:

Nothing to create sludge when there is just a little water left in the bore. :v

RushCC said:
Apparently you guys have had luck with it. I've never tried, because I always herd that the petroleum and black powder residue made a sludgy mess. :idunno:
Never experienced that...personally, I wonder if that's one of those old wives tales that is really a misrepresentation of an owner's firearms care responsibility...dunno.

What I do personally know is that I've successfully used WD40 to power flush the internals of many S&W handguns all my life, spent years hosing down the complete trigger mechanisms of four Remington 1100 semi-auto skeet guns month after month, spent 20 years hosing down the locks on muzzleloaders, and the last 8-10 years of using it as a bore lube in muzzleloaders.
When I began selling off T/C Hawkens to finance the addition of some other long guns, a couple of them had not been out of their cases for 2-3 years...bores were like mirrors.

For me here in NC...for my needs/use/methods, etc...WD40 has never given me any problems like the occasional ones that get posted, so it's impossible for me to understand / identify with them...to each there own I guess.

snowdragon said:
Just as a side note: My daughter lives just a few miles from Roy. Every time I visit her I get out the rifle I built for her to find it rusty. I slather on the Remington gun oil, only to find it rusty again on my next visit. Since she somehow "forgets" to oil it now and then :cursing:, I wonder if something like barricade would work better in her situation, long term storage with no maitainance. Fill the barrel with grease? In this case, I doubt if WD-40 would come close to helping. Bill

We're dealing with salt air and high humidity with lots of temp fluctuations up here. Short term, and especially for anything that gets frequent use and care, WD-40 is fine. But using WD-40 for long term storage will break your heart. I've had best luck with Eezox or barricade for anything stored indoors in stable temps, but have to resort to LPS-2 or even LPS-3 for unheated storage. Basically anything that just leaves the microscopic film so many products promote is more vulnerable than a heavier coating like the heavier versions of LPS.

roundball said:
Never experienced that...personally, I wonder if that's one of those old wives tales that is really a misrepresentation of an owner's firearms care responsibility..
I think that's the case. I've used several kinds of petroleum products in a bunch of ML guns over the years and still use WD-40 and Rem Oil occasionally. I have never seen this petroleum induced sludge-tar which I've been hearing about for at least 20 years, and I don't expect to.

BP shooting would be much simpler and more pleasant if it weren't for all the inaccurate information you have to sift through. That creates its own sort of sludge, and that's no old wives tale.:haha:

Spence

I use it in the wood working shop by the case, too. I also believe the "horror" stories about it are just that, stories!

ebiggs said:
I also believe the "horror" stories about it are just that, stories!

Glad it works for you in your climate. Expanding your localized experience to all climates and labeling others as story tellers is just plain foolish. :bull:

Just remembered something. Back when I was really into black powder revolvers, WD-40 was pretty much all I used to clean the guns. I just blasted all the black stuff away, used a few patches to wipe out the bore and cylinders, then wrappped it in a piece of cloth to store. Now, I do live in the desert, so maybe that's why I got away with using just the WD, but even if you use a final "long term" lube after the initial cleaning, that WD did a great job of knocking all that crud out of there. Bill

Flinthunter is dead on with his assessment of the proper use of WD-40 in gun cleaning. It will lubricate but is not intended as a lubricant. It will prevent rust by simple occlusion of air from steel but is not intended as a rust preventive. Flinthunter is right about it being invented for NASA as a water displacer. It works very well in this capacity and I use it as such whenever I clean my guns. I remove all of the WD-40 and then follow up with Barricade. Another thing that I have found to work like a charm in removing fouling from locks is automobile brake cleaner that comes in spray cans. That stuff really cuts the crud out of all of the recesses of a lock. Then a good wash in hot water, rinse with clear water, shake off as much as you can and spray with WD-40. Wipe off the WD-40 and apply a light coating of Barricade and you are good to go. For those of you whose wife owns a steam mop that has a removable head, you can use steam to clean your lock. A shot of brake cleaner, a good steaming, a spray with WD-40 and finish with Barricade. With that, you have just become a Master Lock Cleaner. Congratulations! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Oh, and for those who cry "Flash rust !!!" Sorry, boys, but it never happens....at least not to me and I have done it several times. But I don't wait a long time between the steam application and the application of the WD-40 to remove any residual moisture. Aw, go ahead and try it, you'll like it.

Roy said:
Nothing to create sludge when there is just a little water left in the bore. :v
Alright, I guess I'll have to try it. Just goes to show that we learn something new every day! :grin:

Billnpatti said:
With that, you have just become a Master Lock Cleaner. Congratulations!
That'll work. Or you could use just plain water. :haha:

Spence

BrownBear said:
Glad it works for you in your climate. Expanding your localized experience to all climates and labeling others as story tellers is just plain foolish. :bull:
BrownBear, I can certainly understand your need for a more efficient rust preventative. Special needs in local situations. But, I wasn't talking about rust prevention, or about the efficiency of WD-40 as a fouling solvent. I was only discussing the "fact", which has been part of BP dogma for many years, that petroleum products will cause tar to form in your bore when mixed with BP fouling. Only that. And I don't believe that happens in anybody's situation.

But I made a mistake once before, and it could happen again. :grin:

Spence

Somebody gave me a container of Break Free CLP, say it is sposed to do everything but make you breakfast. Anybody have any comment on that stuff? So far I have wiped a couple pistols with it, haven't tried it on black powder arms. Ron in FL

Billnpatti said:
It will lubricate but is not intended as a lubricant.
It will prevent rust by simple occlusion of air from steel but is not intended as a rust preventive.
Well said, It has it's uses. If it works for guy's when they clean their guns sobeit, but it's far from the Alpha and Omega

History footnote/mythbuster;
Flinthunter is right about it being invented for NASA as a water displacer.
Not really, WD40 1953 -- NASA inception 1958. Aerospace Yes, NASA No. http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back