• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD/40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more reason I say those stories about WD-40 not working are just that ...... stories! :grin:

I thought I heard that it was developed in California circa 1850 and use exclusively on guns for decades with no adverse effects. I have not seen any documentation to support this but it sounds likley to me. Documentation is rather over rated anyway for the most part. :idunno:

I dont use it in the barrel but I like to spray the water out of the lock after giving it a good bath,Then oil both with olive ,neatsfoot or bear oil,whatevers handy.

I have had great luck using WD-40.

Many friends advised against it's use, but, I had to try it for myself.

I started using it 24 years ago (it and it alone) on a revolver that I own. It has been rode hard and put up wet at times. Other times it would sit unused for up to a year. It is spotless to this day. I will vouch for it as a bore protectant and general rust inhibitor. I don't use it in locks though.

If I have a gun that will be stored for a long time (not very often), out comes the LPS. It is awesome for putting something made of steel away and "forgettin' about it" !

My two cents, Skychief.

Holy cow! This thread got a lot more attention than I would have thought. I love all the reply
's. Thanks guy's.

There's better lubricants.
There's better penetrants.
There's better rust preventatives.
So as an all-in-one product it rates as fair in all categories.

The one place I find it useful is after salt-water fishing; I hose down the rod and reel with fresh water, then use WD-40 to rinse off the water. Haven't had any rust or corrosion, but that could be from rinsing off the salty water and otherwise keeping equipment lubed.

Holy cow! This thread got a lot more attention than I would have thought.
Ye gotta be kidding. Just saying "WD-40" will open the flood gates to comments of all kinds. I have heard it decried as being made of fish oil and even, one guy, saying it was MARTIAN fish oil. After that, some people even start getting silly. :rotf: :stir:

Yep, all you need to do is say "WD" to any man, and he should automatically know what you're talking about. I think there's a WD-40 gene in the XY chromosome, along with the duct tape and bailing wire gene.

Now, if he doesn't know what the code word "WD" means, he probably works as an interior decorator and owns a cat. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) :surrender: :rotf: Bill

I would caution everyone to stock up on WD40 while they can. I understand extraterrestrial aliens are (as we speak) planning an attack on Earth. Their "alleged" plan is to steal all the world's WD40, thereby leaving us helpless for conquering. :slap:

Back