• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

we are a minority

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
of all the people I know who like to hunt, probably 100 or so, there are 2 of us that like to do things the way they did 200 or so years ago, the 2 of us hunt with flintlocks, we both like to go in the woods and start a fire with flint and steel and make a warm drink, maybe some soup. I say different strokes for different folks. I may be a bit weird, but I couldn't keep a straight face when a coworker was telling me all about his inline and hunting strategies the other day, am I bad or what? flinch

You are fine, they are the ones that are different and don't care..you are welcome in my fox hole anytime.

Hmmmm.... Does that mean that we should get federal protections due to our minority status? :hmm:

flinch said:
of all the people I know who like to hunt, probably 100 or so, there are 2 of us that like to do things the way they did 200 or so years ago, the 2 of us hunt with flintlocks, we both like to go in the woods and start a fire with flint and steel and make a warm drink, maybe some soup. I say different strokes for different folks. I may be a bit weird, but I couldn't keep a straight face when a coworker was telling me all about his inline and hunting strategies the other day, am I bad or what? flinch

Better to be a self satisfied minority taking your own path, than just another one of those blindly following the herd.

Shooting traditional muzzleloaders is an addiction that affects a small segment of the shooting fraternity. It means that we can deduct our Muzzleloading Forum dues as medical expenses. (Now if we could deduct flintlocks & black powder, we would really be getting somewhere!) :winking:

I was told the other day, by a gun shop owner, that I was a dying breed and I need to jump on the wagon w/inlines.
NEVER

Of course a gun shop owner is going to say that.
That way, he can sell you a new gun and some dammed expensive bullets and some equally expensive powder pellets. :grin:

zonie :)

I was told the other day, by a gun shop owner, that I was a dying breed and I need to jump on the wagon w/inlines.
NEVER

Jump there? Lemmings, we ain't.

Gives new meaning to "Hell No -- We Won't Go."

Bet you guys never thought you would agree with that now did ya? :haha:

CS

As a state peace officer, we are allowed to write off one firearm per year plus ammo and range fees. Wrote off my Pedersoli Blue Ridge .45 flinter, club dues and black powder. They say we must stay profisant with firearms, they don't say what kind. When was the last time you saw a cop packing a Brown Bess? :rotf:

I am the only one that I know of hunting this area with a sidelock. The few that do muzzleload use inlines, but most could't be bothered with the clean up of even them. I had one fellow I know bring me a muzzleloader and asked if I could clean it up so he could use it. He had put it away the year before and had never cleaned it. It was the worst mess I have ever seen. That makes it great hunting for my wife and I. We filled our tags in the first week of hunting this year.

Well kind of trend in hunting in general. Personally all I run into is people going Antler crazy. It not about experiences any more, it about getting the biggest buck. In lines is just a mean to an end. These are the same types that moan and gripe if there aren't buck stand 50 yards from the ATV trail waiting to be shot. They shot Inlines to get in another season to get the Big Buck.

If that's what they are into .. so be it. Free Country. Me, I started my son into Traditional M/L and I will help anyone else get into this sports. About all I can do.

Ah didn't know the dues wuz deductable, maybe Ah'll actually git some money back this year. :shake:

I agree, here inlines are king. Its the regular centerfire "gangbangers" from the regular gun season who just want one more crack at the biggun. And now they want to be able to put scopes on em!!!
I wrote some letters and talked to some people this summer trying to get a traditional only season in our state, but I doubt it will fly. The gun hunters will scream bloody murder. They also want to make crossbows legal in the archery season (their currently legal under permit only to handicapped persons).
It boils down to your average gun hunter is lazy, but he wants to be able to hunt several months. We had over 9,000 people apply for slightly over 1,000 ML tags this year. I guarantee if they outlawed inlines ( I say put em in with regular rifles) for the ML'er season, they would see a DRASTIC reduction in applications. It just wouldnt be EASY anymore.

I hate inlines.

Hey Guys
The problem we have is blaze orange this stuff ruins the effect doesn't
My best regards Loyalistdawg

I deer hunt with 20 guys from all over the state of Illinois. The ages range from young to old, professional, blue collar, college students, high school students. It's a great group of people. We sit and do drives. 2 of us carry muzzleloaders, the rest shotguns. We pretty much harvest deer at the state average, except the 2 who carry muzzleloaders, they fill their 2 tags every year. Need I say more??

I use traditional means because I like it its real hunting to me. My son hunts with a traditional rifle (hes 8). A friend at work wants her grandson to grow up hunting and fishing so Ill teach him all I can about traditional hunting and Rondys.

I guess its a way of keeping our sport alive.(not that its going anywheres) just want young people to see hunting as a challenge of nature, not of modern chemistry and technology.

DavidS said:
NEVER

Never would I go from a tradition rifle to one of those city slicker guns.

DavidS said:
NEVER

That's pretty funny! I was told by a gun shop owner that inlines are for people who can't be bothered with learning how to shoot a real muzzleloader. He sold me two pounds of Swiss 3F, and gave me a half-dozen flints.

Enjoy today!

well lets see lil bro and hunt with ml's exclusively, we also attend shoots,regularly,big bro and his son,only use ml's during ml season...lil bro and i fill our buck tags bout every year.....big bro and son...0.....seems if ya use these things regular like you can get pretty good with 'em,,,(oh, they seem to miss...often??) an i jes throw my hands up in the air when someone says that in word,cause i know nothing,and i mean nothing bout them and ain't willin ta learn..does that make me bad?????? :nono:

Back