• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WE HAVE PERCUSSION CAP LIFT OFF HOUSTON

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like every one else #11's are hard to come by ...
Like everyone else I have been reading about the tool to make the cups and as well as the numerous methods of ignition compound
I succumbed to the itch and ordered the cup tool about two weeks ago and it came yesterday
To cut to the chase I chose for my first trial the German cap gun caps for priming compound
I hole punched out the compound dots on the roll caps with a size hole punch to just fit the inside diameter of the cap cup ..I peeled NO PAPER from either side of the "dots" and did not attempt to "scrape off" the compound ..
I was concerned that the heavy backing paper would block the fire from the further most "dots" from the flash hole (this entire test run was done with 3 dots stacked like poker chips with the THIN paper side facing the flash hole) ...SO I cut 5 undersized dots (almost exactly the diameter of the compound dot) which I will explain in a moment ...
The cups were made 3 ways ..pop can single layer ...pop can double layer ....005 brass sheeting
The sealing compound in all cases was a dime size dot of DUCO cement mixed with a tablespoon of acetone
The weapon was a Colt 1849 Pocket Model ..projectile was a 47gr round ball
5 rounds 15gr Triple Seven single wall pop can
5 rounds 15 gr " double wall pop can
5 rounds 15gr " .005 brass single wall
5 rounds 18gr " mix single/double wall pop can
5 rounds 18gr " .005 brass single wall

Observations:
ZERO miss fires
Small dot loaded in the stack nearest the flash hole made no difference
None of the caps fragmented with the 15gr loads and ALL had to be removed from the nipples
The single wall pop can caps at the 18gr load tore with one falling off the nipple
The double wall pop can and the .005 brass single wall with the 18gr loads all remained intact and had to be removed from the nipple with slight deformation of the skirt of the double wall pop can version and the .005 brass were rock solid on the nipple

25 rounds in itself is certainly not a blue ribbon testimonial but for me it is a basis to build from as I would presently categorize the caps as a success ...initially I can see building single wall pop can for plinking ..double wall for heavier loads but definitely the .005 brass for "critical need" as they are rock solid on the nipple until you remove them

Everyone have a great and safe Memorial weekend
Thanks to all my fellow servicemen who didn't come home and to those who did

Bear

Much the same results here. It's time consuming, but sucessful. I use the prime-all compound, and have darn near 100% performance. Good job!

Well you may be correct ..then again you may be partially correct ..I happen to shoot a lot of Colt pocket pattern cap and ball which WILL NOT physically fit a CCI or RWS #11 because of overall length not internal diameter ..however the Remington #11 will fit these Colt pocket models ...ALSO the double wall pop can and .005 brass version DO NOT disintegrate ..fall into the hammer Valley and block the hammer fall causing FTF
Plus my rural area shooting shops treat percussion caps as a maginal necessity as most BP shooters are modern 209 primed meat hunters .. So kind sir can you direct me to some Remington #11's that I don't throw a half $$ dollar or more away on every cylinder full I would be most grateful as a few factory caps might be good to have ...
As a side note... with in 500 caps I will have broken even on my purchase price of the die to make the cups using 10 cents a cap ...the roll caps are less than a penny per shot using 3 cap dots per ...
I have plenty of time in the winter months to build bullets n caps
I'm good to go@
Bear

To fill in the back conversation and according to this chart the Rem #10 is the same internal diameter as the Rem #11 but the #10 is longer so I cannot use them on the pocket models I have ....
The CCI #10 has a smaller internal diameter and and will not go on my nipples ...
The one great thing about this adventure is the double pop can and the .005 brass home built DO NOT fall into the hammer valley causing jams ...
So no staking in a pin behind the hammer to keep shattered caps from jamming in the hammer valley

Bear

Back