• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WEDGE PINS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARDCORE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem that maybe you guys can help me with. I just got a brand new Lyman GPR and when i put the barrel on the stock it takes a lot of pressure while holding them both together to get the wedge pins even into the gun by tapping them in with a rubber mallet. The main problem is that the front pin goes all the way through but the back pin isn't lining up with the hole on the other side. I am using the longer pin which isn't much longer than the front and it hangs up on the escutcheon on the other side. I tried putting the pins in without the barrel and they seem to line up but not with the barrel.The book says to open the hole on the escutcheon with a file but I wasn't sure if that was the problem.
I took it back to the gun dealer that i got it from and he thinks that the stock needs to be inlet-ed more to seat the barrel on the stock better because i shouldn't have to muscle the pins in. He says that he is going to call customer service to get their advice.
If he has to send the rifle in for warranty work, what is the normal turn around time from Lyman?

thanks for any info you guys can give, HARDCORE

I would just bend the rear wedge a little bit. Just enough to clear the escutcheon plate. This is not an uncommon problem. I have had this situation on every rifle I have that uses a hooked breach and wedges. I just put in on a vise with the jaws set to rest each end of the wedge. I take a cheap screwdriver and rest it in the middle of the wedge and hit the screwdriver enough times to bend it a little and check it out. Repeat as nessisary.

The pressure it takes to seat the barrel will become less as you shoot the rifle and the hook and tang work in a little. You may have to bend back the wedge once everything has settled in.

I would give this a shot before sending the rifle back and being without your baby for a month or so.

I had the same problem with my GPR. Did what the book said and fit is fine. File a very small amount at a time and keep the plate and wedge oriented the same way. I dont beleive that these are put together at the factory. The hand made, hand fit is left to you.

I have two GPRs. You can call Lyman and they will tell you the same as Mike. I had to do the samething. Follow Mike's advice and you'll be shooting the greatest production rifle this afternoon :thumbsup: .

The above advice should cure the problem. Had to do it with mine too.
Make sure you get all that packing goop out of the barrel before shooting. Have fun and make smoke.

If I remember correctly, the instructions even give details on fitting the wedges (at least if they're loose; I forget if they covered your situation, but I'm pretty sure they covered the "loose wedges" issue.)

Hey guys,

Did what book said and i'm good to go. I'm going to the range tomorrow and can't wait to shoot it. Thanks again for all the replys

HARDCORE

I had the same problem with mine.Try swaping the wedge to the other hole, and try placing the front in first, and then the back in first.After I played around with mine, they fit like a glove.

Back