• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weight of Lyman .54 Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with the weight of a Lyman GPR in .54 cal? The sources I can find list the same weight for both the .50 and .54 which doesn’t seem correct.
I have a .50 and it’s a bit too heavy for me due to a shoulder injury. I am hopeful that a .54 barrel would shave enough weight that I can comfortably shoot this rifle once again.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mine is 8# 10 oz.
Thanks you so much!!! My .50 is 9 lbs 2 oz. Both my TC Hawken and Poorboy are 8 lbs 1 oz and they are just about perfect. Any heavier and I start having problems. I really don’t like shooting the TC as it hits me on the cheek pretty hard.

Looks like black powder Bill was right.

Back