• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

weird thinga ahappenin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a simular problem where my CVA mountain rifle was producing varing results depending on where I held the gun. "on the stock" I glassed the barrel and everything went to shooting just fine.
Regards
Wounded Knee

Now I'm just a wonderin, could it be doind this because of the underhammer's design? The hammer is hitting upwards on the bottom of the barrel, is there enough force to raise the barrel slightly?

But the hammer is hitting behind the rifle's center of gravity/balance point, so it would lower the muzzle. Just about as much as it was lifted when the spring launched it before it hits the nipple. :) There was a feller name o' Newton what had some thoughts on this. Someone dropped a fig on his head and SHAZAM! There might be a little "wobble" from the movement, but no more than any hammer on any gun. It happens every time so the sight adjustment should compensate. As far as tipping the barrel: it's like standing on a sailboat and blowing into the sails to gain speed. Won't work.

Reminds me of Two-Shillelagh O'Sullivan. That man was so strong he could put his right hand in his own left hip pocket and hold himself out at arm's length.

Now, if he's resting the barrel on bags at 100 yards but not 50, or has a different rest posture/position, all bets are off. Or, if he's using a shotgun scope parallax corrected for 50 yards. :hmm:

Underhammers are upside down guns, so, naturally, when you shoot up at 50 yards your shot will fall low at 100. Same thing happens with side-hammers as they tend to cross left or right depending on the lock placement. (I learned to compensate for this by studying the technique of the late Ben Turpin.) :grin:

Seriously, it's most likely the arc your load is describing - going up as it passes the 50 and dropping down into the 100. I guess you could fiddle with the load to get one to work at both ranges.

RedFeather

ps - I have an underhammer and they are fine guns.

Red Feather Stumpkiller you got it right! Wonder how much my 48" barreld H+A 14 pounder jumps from hammer blow? It sure dont with 75 grs 3f Swiss that I can tell.... Sight in at 100 and ck your 50 Id guess... you know the barrel is 1/8" lower than the body, so what happens if you put your back sight a 1/8" higher?? I dont have a clue, got 3 of them things now and all shoot just fine , thank you much. Fred :yakyak: :thumbsup:

i am shooting from a bench rest. i dont think the spring on myunderhammer has enough power to lift a 14 lbgun :grin: i am going to the range tommorow so we will see. could the problem bee my using buckhorn sights lower for 50 and upper for 100?

Well,yeah! Using the top of your rear sight will make a big difference.I think you'll find it best to sight in at 50 yards with the lower part of your rear sight,and also at 100 yards with the same sighting.The top of your rear sight might be good for a shot at a bucket at 200 yards!I think you'll find good results using the lower rear sight at 10-100 yards.Once you get it adjusted to zero at 75-100 yards,you should be hitting within 2" of your point of aim at all ranges out to 100-125 yards.

You guys are making my head hurt! I'm just lazy. Sight all mine in at 50 yards and figure thats good enough, cause the farthest I ever shoot is around 100 yards.

swoter said:
You guys are making my head hurt! I'm just lazy. Sight all mine in at 50 yards and figure thats good enough, cause the farthest I ever shoot is around 100 yards.

That's what I do...every one is dead zero at 50yds, bead in the bottom of the rear notch, held at POA on the target.

Then I test a couple groups at 100yds to verify that I know there's a 3-4" drop with my loads that I have to hold for in the rare event I ever get a 100yd shot.

Most deer I've shot have been 35-50yds...a few at 25yds, a couple at 60 & 70yds, but almost all at 35-50yds

Thats great for ? NC here in Texas a 100 yd shot can be a everyday deal, guess its the place your shooting, I set dead on at 100 ck the 50. Fred (to each his own ) Good shooting guys. get bulls at 13, then move to 50, get bulls at 50 then move out to 100 , saves on balls trying 13 1st..ect.

went to the range today and bulls at 50 and 100 with the balls i cast using a wonderwad. so bravo :blah:

Back