• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well boys and girls...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting fairly bored and waiting for the cooler weather, and those days to put on an extra layer. Basically waiting for hunting season. It seems I am not much of a summer type person. I'll will be using my 16 gauge smoothie this year, what will you be chasin after game with??

.45 deer creek mountain rifle for deer and i'll take my new cva .54 flintlock mountain rifle with me also. Might buy a late season elk tag and use the .54 but am not sure.

Bro will be using his .50 cva hawken for deer and Pappy will be using his .50 cabelas sporterized hawken for his deer and elk tag.

Roy said:
I'm getting fairly bored and waiting for the cooler weather, and those days to put on an extra layer. Basically waiting for hunting season. It seems I am not much of a summer type person. I'll will be using my 16 gauge smoothie this year, what will you be chasin after game with??
Have you given any thought to calling some crows in to that smoothie? Even if it's only a couple Saturday mornings it breaks up the waiting, gets the juices flowing.

I'm planning on trying doves Labor Day weekend with a .62cal Flint smoothbore;

Hopefully squirrels with a .54cal Flint smoothbore if I can get a farmer I know has cornfields to give me permission...if not, maybe a state game land;

And planning to at least start the rut with a .62cal Flint "rifle"....had Ed Rayl put .012" x 1:72" grooves in a .62cal GM Flint smoothbore barrel early this year....got her sighted in and ready to go.
(A .600/325grn ball is just what I need for 40 yard shots on 140-150lb deer) :grin:

I hear ya about the warn weather :( looking forward to deer season using my Blue Ridge 50 and Taditions 50 Kentucky pistol. :)

I'm going to do a lot more BP weaponry this year, my .54 TC Renegade for deer, whitetail and sika (and maybe bear), and the 10 ga double Pedersoli for more on ducks/geese. May take that out in August on some crows, too.

Goal is to get and build a .50 flint longrifle, hope to have it firing at game by the late season at least. :grin:

I'm not going to have a flinter ready in time for this year, so I'll use my long barreled 58. I can't remember the make, but I enjoy shooting it more than my other rifles. I think a 58 cal round ball with 110 gr Goex should do the trick.

roundball said:
Have you given any thought to calling some crows in to that smoothie? Even if it's only a couple Saturday mornings it breaks up the waiting, gets the juices flowing.

Our crow season is or was last year from November 4 to Feb. 28, too busy with Ruffed grouse, wood cock and snipe during most of that time.

Our Squirrel season did open about mid August last year, but I'm guess I'm still a yankee in that I like the cooler weather for hunting.

Chapter that should darn near nock them sideways :haha: :thumbsup:

Well, you never know when some crazed elephant might be running loose in the neighborhood... :grin:

Hopefully I'll be usin a brandy new roy stroh built new england fowler of 62 cal. flintlock persuasion but I guess that's up to you and mr. rayl. I'm a hopin! :thumbsup: RC

chapter said:
Well, you never know when some crazed elephant might be running loose in the neighborhood... :grin:

good point :thumbsup: thats why I shoot .650 RBs out of mine :haha:

I'll be christening my .50Cal Deerhunter this year. May get some Tree Rat hunting in before Deer Season.

I dunno what I'll use come hunting season,I got a Boatload of muzzleloaders to choose from.Probably try for a flintlock Buck with my Lyman 50 and we'll see how that pans out maybe if I'm skunked later on in the season I'll be forced to grunt it out with a caplock.Weather has got some to do with it too.I aint much of a Flintlock fan in the heavy rains we get here in the fall.

Hopefully I will be useing a knife and fork ...........

IF I get a chance at a high speed beef with my 50cal rock lock.

My .54 Hawken style rifle made by the Gunworks for deer. I am shooting it and trying to sight it in as we speak. This would be my first season hunting with real black powder and using this rifle.
Billk

Back