• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well I will tell ya...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually stopped taking my muzzleloaders to the public range I used to go to before I joined a club. Mostly people were ok with me shooting there, but many others would get upset at the "stinky smoke", or when they'd get hit by particles from the lock side, even after I warned them ahead of time. So, I'd wait for the far left table (left handed flintlock), so thered be noone to get hit by particles. I'd still get the "oooo it stinks" comments. Had one guy come over in amazement that I was shooting at a target on the 100 yard boards. "I didn't think they'd go that far" was all he said to me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and educated him as to how far a muzzleloader can fire, but he couldnt care less and was being sarcastic. I stopped shooting there for those and many other reasons(one being the place was getting overcrowded and unsafe). When I found the club I belong to, with its dedicated muzzeloader range, I never went back to the old place. Now you have to pay to shoot at this once public range. Matters not, as I'll never go back there.
What kind of sissy says “ooo it stinks”? Good grief.

I am so blessed to have a 800 yard range right out of my reloading/machine room in my shop. If I want to shoot a muzzle loader it's fine, if I want to shoot the 50 BMG it's fine, if I want to sight in a suppressed 6.5x55 at night that's fine too. It's lighted at 100 and 300 yards.
Sure glad I don't have to deal with the public. I make up few rounds, walk to the bench and fire them, go back ...... .Rinse and repeat so to say.

Last edited:
I am so blessed to have a 800 yard range right out of my reloading/machine room in my shop. If I want to shoot a muzzle loader it's fine, if I want to shoot the 50 BMG it's fine, if I want to sight in a suppressed 6.5x55 at night that's fine too. It's lighted at 100 and 300 yards.
Sure glad I don't have to deal with the public. I make up few rounds, walk to the bench and fire them, go back ...... .Rinse and repeat so to say.
👍

I can't honestly say I hate going to the range I belong to. I've had some good conversations with some of the fellas I've bumped into. But on a busier day, there is always that one guy that makes it less enjoyable.

I also have that blessing but if I so desired I could stretch to a mile

I actually stopped taking my muzzleloaders to the public range I used to go to before I joined a club. Mostly people were ok with me shooting there, but many others would get upset at the "stinky smoke", or when they'd get hit by particles from the lock side, even after I warned them ahead of time. So, I'd wait for the far left table (left handed flintlock), so thered be noone to get hit by particles. I'd still get the "oooo it stinks" comments. Had one guy come over in amazement that I was shooting at a target on the 100 yard boards. "I didn't think they'd go that far" was all he said to me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and educated him as to how far a muzzleloader can fire, but he couldnt care less and was being sarcastic. I stopped shooting there for those and many other reasons(one being the place was getting overcrowded and unsafe). When I found the club I belong to, with its dedicated muzzeloader range, I never went back to the old place. Now you have to pay to shoot at this once public range. Matters not, as I'll never go back there.
Reminds me of the time a land owner we rented from made a comment after we told him he couldn't have his grandaughter on the back side of target berm. He said "they are just muzzleloaders"!! We quit our rent with that stupid landowner.
Larry

Back